Skip to content

Golden Heights Contest - Chapter 2

176 to 200 of 204

Happy new year and best wishes for 2020!

Damn, 38 entries from 29 people later, the time is over! With this amazing support, this was the biggest contest ever on NLC!

Thank you all for participating and we see you back around the second week of February for the results!

Greets from Pifpoefpaf123 and Ward

Image from Gyazo

it´s been a lot of fun making this. this has actually the most challenging elements i ever made so i´m glad that i participated and pushed myself to create something unique

a bit late but I submitted Antares just before the deadline and I haven't been back home since, it was a lot of fun and good luck everyone!

Some info (38 entries):

  • All coaster track combined: 58,9 km / 36,6 miles
  • Coaster track above the lake: 10,9 km / 6,8 miles
  • Total inversions: 198
  • Most used coaster style: Rocket Coaster
  • Maximum bonus points: 31% -> Red Streak by RedLimitsCoasters
  • Number of entries with 0 bonus: 6
  • Fastest ride: Shazam! by FrankLeeMadere
  • Tallest ride: Shazam! by FrankLeeMadere
  • Most inversions: Horizon by ThemeParkWirral (19)
  • Shortest ride (following all rules): Python by RCT3AndNL2Stuff
  • Longest name: Cackles Is Now Deprecated by TOGOfan

Results next week
Greetings, Pifpoefpaf123 and Ward

Posted February 9, 2020· Edited February 9, 2020

Thank you all for participating! Here are the results, top 10 will come tonight.

Horizon at place 23 needs to be Themeparkwirrel instead of RCT3AndNL2Stuff.

Here we are again. After judging 38 entries we finally present the top ten!

Congratulations Der LK 7531!

Thank you all for participating!

Greets from Pifpoefpaf123 and Ward

Posted February 9, 2020· Edited February 10, 2020

Daaamn, so close! Can't wait to ride all of em!
I would really appreaciate if everyone would upload theirs and post links here :) Unfortunately I can't set a good example right now but I will soon!
Congrats to everyone and thanks for hosting the contest, it was great fun!

Edit: I actually can give you at least a raw POV oh my coaster:

Posted February 10, 2020· Edited February 10, 2020

First off all, I want to say a big Thanks Ward and Pifpoefpaf123 for hosting this contest - it was a blast thinking all of those possible layouts through; I'm looking forward for this year's contest ;-). Is there a chance we get some insights into how those scores came up? I'd be interested in which were the crucial points giving my ride the edge amongst all those strong entries. (Though I am aware of most of it being hidden judgement secrets)
@Zampano GGs! Your entry looks beautiful and thrilling as well! Literally the only thing pushing my score over your's was the bonus upon the coaster style.
I am also amazed by the sheer amount of awesome entries, good job everyone. :)
I will upload Thunder Strike here as well some time tonight;
I'm usually basically inactive over here, uploading my stuff on coaster crazy only since NLE got shut down. Might get a little more active over here again too tho, since this site seems alot more active these days lol.

[Der LK]
Is there a chance we get some insights into how those scores came up? I'd be interested in which were the crucial points giving my ride the edge amongst all those strong entries. (Though I am aware of most of it being hidden judgement secrets)

I would be very interested in this, too.

@Zampano GGs! Your entry looks really awesome as well! Literally the only thing pushing my score over your's was the bonus upon the coaster style.

Thanks a lot! I have seen your track now two and it's really a hell of a ride! All these supports pain me just looking at them :D Great entry!

Zampano posted on February 9th, 2020

[Der LK]
Is there a chance we get some insights into how those scores came up? I'd be interested in which were the crucial points giving my ride the edge amongst all those strong entries. (Though I am aware of most of it being hidden judgement secrets)

I would be very interested in this, too.

Sure, here it is!

We decided before starting the contest that my points count as 35% and Ward's points as 65% of the total. I made the template, so I wanted not to give too much time on the judging process.

There are not really judgement secrets XD, we work with a scoring system that has been determined beforehand.

My part:
I did two passes of all entries:

  • first pass was to determine the bonus points. These are objective scores. Length above the water was simply measured with segment lengths and then calculated altogether. Inversions were counted for every time the rider is >135° . We're both dutch, so column names are in dutch :)

  • second pass was to give my points on the ride itself, these scores are mostly subjective.
    (not corresponding with photo above^)

    What are those points (not in correct order as image above):

  • points on aesthetics of the ride: does it look good? could some parts be closer to the terrain? does the coaster blend well in with the rest of the park? ...
  • points on the layout: does it have cool elements? does it feel rushed? I gave everyone needing a second lift hill to reach the station area again -2 points.
  • points on the pacing and smoothness of the ride: does the radius comb looks good? does the coaster has a nice flow?
  • points on the supports: does it look structural right? are flanges in the correct place? Is it over/undersupported?
  • points on the footers: do footers overlap? do parts of the footers disappear in the terrain?
  • points on g-forces: following the ASTM guidelines
  • points on a correct brake setup: I really was disappointed by this part. Only a few entries were given full points, it are easy points to win tho
  • and last one: points on meeting all requirements: tunnel length not longer than 80m, minimum height, boundaries and pass underneath the bridge(s)

I don't know exactly how Ward judges, but we arranged that he tests the clearance of the ride and E-stop. As well what he likes/dislikes on the coasters.

Greetings Pifpoefpaf123

176 to 200 of 204