Skip to content

Five Hours of Power IV - Winner: Weekend by Tenne

151 to 175 of 183

I liked this year's challenge and thought the capacity requirement was a real curveball. It's something I don't think about enough when designing coasters.

I thought the capacity challenge was a fresh and new take! But the 1800pph was too much for me and I could only reach around 1700 due to a poor choice of coaster type, and thus could not finish.... This has inspired me to step up my NL game so thank you for that :)

I watched the last half hour of Codemaster's stream and wooo it was c-r-a-z-y :D

fintamin posted on July 15th, 2018

I thought the capacity challenge was a fresh and new take! But the 1800pph was too much for me and I could only reach around 1700 due to a poor choice of coaster type, and thus could not finish.... This has inspired me to step up my NL game so thank you for that :)

I watched the last half hour of Codemaster's stream and wooo it was c-r-a-z-y :D

Same here, didn't even get close to the 1800pph. I was just to slow to focus on that part, next time.

Posted July 15, 2018· Edited July 15, 2018

Capacity was a bit of a problem, i fixed it with a stop and launch on the lift, 2 brakeruns during the ride, a double station and separate load and unload stations so I could run 6 trains at once which gives a capacity of 2300 pph. The ride itself is one of the weirdest I've made in NL2 tho

Will there be a complete list released of where all the entries rank? I’d like to see where mine placed, and I’m sure others would as well (I’m not expecting mine to be too high, I’m just hoping it’s not dead last :p)

Comments and feedback will be provided for all entries. Our judging process starts with dividing up the entries among the judges, then:

  1. Quick review to officially measure capacity and look for any rule violations (out of bounds, touching water, no storage, etc)
  2. Ride all rides for initial feedback
  3. Highest quality entries move to the final round for detailed review by all judges
  4. Scores tabulated and rankings determined

-Ride_Op

Posted July 18, 2018· Edited July 18, 2018

Update:

We're not as slow this year (yet!) - Bill is finishing up his initial chunk so we can move onto ranking a short list. Entries have been quite similar, if not lower in quality when compared to last year. This may benefit some of you that met requirements and did well. It's been entertaining to see who had to rush in solutions to adapt to the high capacity requirements.

I hope you all enjoyed the challenge this year! The goal was to create chaotic entries with many block sections, and a rush to design proper timing between all of the trains. While we try to keep rules concise (so you're not wasting time seeing if your entry ticks all the right boxes), many are created later after some debate in the design of the contest.

While we didn't find any entries exceeding the max length, the 5500 ft. rule was deployed to prevent mega/hyper/giga layouts from being an easy meta strategy. The lift hill requirement was added to prevent concise launched coasters from being the norm (i.e. Xcelerator @ KBF would be an easy meta). The "60 second recommendation" for train dispatching was to prevent extreme, idealistic scenarios that would never occur in real life. Of course, this was not a strict rule and most entries fared fine with some explanation.


What's also unusual for us is that Tom and I have already come up with an excellent idea for next year. I'm already super excited to share it with you all, but that's still a year away from today, so I'll have to hold my tongue. We can't wait to cause mayhem once again! >:)

I liked this year's contest! It was my first time actually making an entry, and I really enjoyed it. I thought the capacity minimum was a fun and unique challenge. My own submission is probably not a top 5, but I like how it turned out. I think some last minute changes (I had forgotten a transfer track until the last few minutes for some reason) makes my capacity dip just over and under 1800 though... Hopefully it works out okay.

and a gif of the first drop

^ I can tell you there's more than just that that's wrong with this coaster. I'm just glad I had a running coaster by the end of 5 hours!

^ it just annoys me that people are still doing that; it’s like, it’s one of the simplest things and for some reason there is still so many that miss it. It just grinds my beans T_T

This really should not make you mad. It used to bug us to see mouse cursors in videos each week. We still see it, now we leave a note about how to get around it and move on to the next video.

-Ride_Op

I can't think of anything about those videos that I would say makes me mad, tho choppy framerates are often pretty hard to watch.

We have our 5 finalists and 2 of the 3 judges have scored them. One judge has fallen ill with the flu or a bad cold, which is delaying final results. Thank you for your patience.

-Ride_Op

Posted August 26, 2018· Edited August 26, 2018

^If the livestream would be such a success as the stream that showed the 5HOP IV map, just an announcement on Facebook is good enough for me.
How late will the top 5 and the winner be announced?

151 to 175 of 183