Skip to content

Five Hours of Power V - Winner: Blue Thang by CoasterMac305!

101 to 122 of 122
Posted August 26, 2019· Edited August 26, 2019

I am sorry for the FVD comments - I was trying to give some ideas to make it more open for some users, but reading back through they came off as almost whiny.

As difficult as it was this year, it was a very unique and great challenge - was definitely fun to give it a go. I wouldn’t really change anything about it - the template, though hard, worked well and it was a blast to participate. Looking forward to next year and whatever build awaits us!

I for one had a blast participating, even though I learned the valuable "you definitely, definitely need more than 20 minutes to support a 6000' long coaster" lesson the hard way. In my defense, I meant to leave an hour and a half to get that done but... well, the coaster wasn't long enough or connected by then, so... woops.

Super stressful, super fun comp. I think if I'd had a FitBit on it'd have been like "Congratulations! You exercised for 5 hours today!" Only thing I'd change is... well I for one don't want to wait for next year to do it again! :D

I feel like if I participated in that, I'd probably spend the first 4 hours and 59 minutes making the layout and then frantically support for the final minute however much I can.

I think this year people that went to high and were going too fast also caused themselves problems...

I had an opposite problem - I chose an Intamin blitz that is mostly low to the ground. But about 2/3 the way through I was absolutely out of space on the lake. A lack of momentum at the end was made worse by having boring helices just trying to get a long enough length. I should have done more higher up then got down near the water at the end. In short, my layout ended up terrible.

Very stressful, but still a great contest to be sure.

Posted August 27, 2019· Edited August 27, 2019

I noticed my submission "Freedom" is missing from the zipfile? it got listed in list with entries in the discord server iirc and i submitted it in time :-o

No idea how long it will take. The nature of this year's competition requires a longer evaluation of the rides. There is a lot of track to look at! We'll keep everyone informed of progress and when to expect results.

We'll try for a live results show, but last year it didn't work out so we posted the text results instead.

-Ride_Op

Yeah we're about ready to give the full rating treatment. Busy schedules and a more detail intensive first round of scoring made this take awhile. 11 of the 19 entries made the track length requirement. Longest track within the contest scoring area submitted is 5961.31 feet.

-Ride_Op

Upon further review, 2 of the finalists have been disqualified, leaving just 5 entrants in for full judging. We're finalizing our scores this weekend and moving on to discussing just how we'll be revealing the winner.

Thank you for your patience with this. Between life and the sheer enormity of what we asked you to do (and now have to judge), this has been the most difficult contest yet!

-Ride_Op

Posted October 19, 2019· Edited October 20, 2019

Congratulations to CoasterMac305 for his amazing entry Blue Thang!

Here's the link for the scoring form, so everyone can see the comments from the judges on every ride. Finalists that got full scoring (of which there were actually 6) have comments and scores from all 3 judges. Please let me know if you have any questions. I'll get new versions of the park uploaded soon.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uaFjXvMTIu4G528RI9TWfrOcEfIwSRYx4ykbJ282Dz0/edit?usp=sharing

-Ride_Op

Posted October 22, 2019· Edited October 22, 2019

Great to hear my track was one of the finalists.
Thanks for the indepth review, i guess i had my focus to much on the ride fitting the rules and not enough on the actual ride experience.

101 to 122 of 122