Skip to content

Spez projects (Kings Island NL2, 360 degree videos + small updates)

26 to 50 of 52

I added some buildings to The Beast. Chain lift sheds:

Also, the entrance

The octagonal tower for Vortex as well as staircases and catwalks

Finally, things like lockers and other small structures

I think the next update should be the last one, consisting of park accessories, pathway, more lights, etc...
It should coincide with the release of phase 1. I'm kind of in a hurry to start phase 2.

Jack73 posted on August 28th, 2019

Looks AMAZING!!! Out of curiosity, what is phase 2 going to consist of?

I take this opportunity to re-organize those phases. Considering the time it takes to do this, the subsequent phases will consist of one major coaster only (with surroundings).
That being said, phase 2 will still be a tall order:
Phase 2: Mystic timber with the Kings Island train and White Water Canyon. They are all crossing each other. Can't do one without the others.
Phase 3: Diamondback
Phase 4: Either Stunt coaster or Racer
Phase 5: Vice-versa
Phase 6: Banshee
Phase 7: The Bat
Phase 8: By that time (and if my PC hasn't expired of exhaustion for loading all this) the new Orion should be well advanced...

Still progressing.
I decided for a more thoroughly detailed approach to the pathways and park accessories. This will result in a great contrast between what's built on one side of the path and emptiness on the other side. But that's part of releasing in phases rather than in one shot. Because of this approach however, it's not finished yet. Il will for instance include that art deco snack bar facing Shake Rattle & Roll, because of it's proximity (not built yet). I still have to work also on the Vortex vicinity.

Here are screenshots of the progress. Most of the effort went in the Rivertown part. I'm particularly happy with the pizzeria. Guess I like pizza...

Dechlave posted on September 14th, 2019

Gosh, this looks SOOOOOOOOO GOOD!

What environment/skybox are you using?

No skybox. Just an environment with dynamic sky and a fair amount of clouds. The terrain had to be adapted though. I needed a flat surface for the main portion of the park, but The Beast required lower terrain and the Miami river had to be set. Once the river was more or less alright (it's hard to be accurate with the river generator), I lifted the whole map by 20m (about 65ft) and sloped the terrain where required by The Beast.
To think that it all started with me trying to recreate The Beast back in the days of NL1. That track was imported from it as the other tracks I presented before. Technically speaking, Vortex is my very first track laid out specifically for NL2! I hope people will be indulgent about the track work...

Phase 1 of Kings Island NL2 is completed and available in the exchange.
I'm glad I went over the top with the details of Vortex. Now that the ride is to be definitely closed by the end of the season, such recreation will be the only way one will be able to ride it...

A few screenshots of the latest add-ons, starting with an overall view of what has been done

Wind Seeker scenery

Some pathway details

Leading to Juke Box

Following this I will shoot a couple of videos of it as well

nolimits2channel posted on October 8th, 2019

This is the best park for NL2! Good luck in the development.

Thank you very much! I appreciate. I should start Phase 2 in a few days, starting with modeling the train with it's station. I hope I'll be able to animate it properly...

MrBassFanatic posted on October 18th, 2019

Vortex's cartexture and logo is off a bit. Fix it!!! And the colors of the cars are off and the track color is off.

According to most pics I have, the color was off, but not by much. I already adjusted it. I'll see later with the car texture for the logo. I'm having trouble with it. Regardless, any update or improvement of existing part of the project will be available when the next phase is out. I wouldn't want to upload modified versions every week... I will show some improvements however in this thread when I post a new update.
Thank you for your observations.

I started to work on the train. It will be my most detailed models yet. I'm still working on the locomotives. Both Engine 12 and 19 are currently being built.
Engine 12 will be animated and roll on the rails while Engine 19 will be additional scenery (and will most likely be parked in front of the future maintenance shed).

Those drive wheels took me some time to do.

A closer view of the type of bogie that will support the tender car and passenger cars

Next I will build the steampunk features inside the conductor's cabin, then find a way to synchronize the wheels and cranes to the train's forward movement.

Posted November 1, 2019· Edited November 1, 2019

MrRC posted on October 30th, 2019

Engine 12 will be animated and roll on the rails while Engine 19 will be additional scenery

Yes, because I think one train to animate will be enough headaches. I picked Engine 12 simply because it's more colorful.

And for a slight change of subject, I uploaded a video on YouTube about Vortex. It's the least I could do now that it's closed.
I took the opportunity to improve a few things:
The color of the cars is updated. I had used the same color as the supports before (as pointed out by MrBassFanatic).
The Vortex logo on the front car is ok now. Got rid of the bug.
And last but not least, the revolving doors of the storage shed are now... revolving!
All these improvements will be available in Phase 2.

It's a tribute and also a funny take on Vortex. Like any retired coasters, it had it's detractors. The funny part is about them.
Hope you enjoy!

Posted November 20, 2019· Edited November 20, 2019

Hey, awesome job but one thing. The textures on both of the rides are kinda broken. Vortex is barely readable (same issue as in image 14,) and beast is nearly gone. (the logos) I wonder why its doing this? Please respond!

totallynotraptor posted on November 19th, 2019

Hey, awesome job but one thing. The textures on both of the rides are kinda broken. Vortex is barely readable (same issue as in image 14,) and beast is nearly gone. (the logos) I wonder why its doing this? Please respond!

I simply omitted to modify one of the layers of those car textures.
These problems have already been addressed as you can see in this picture.

You can also see the result in the Vortex video posted above.
Such updates will be available in Phase 2 (it will contain phase 1 as well).

First time reading this thread, but If you could photoshop the Vortex logo into the Kings Island one I'd suggest that for the Vortex train. Btw that Beast Station was traumatizing to look at

26 to 50 of 52