Skip to content

Wicker Man in NL2: Feed the Flames!

1 to 25 of 39
Posted May 4, 2018· Edited May 4, 2018

Since my departure from Virtual Towers Online I was rather upset about not being able to finish making Wicker Man in NoLimits 2. So I decided I would, but this time I'm doing it for me. Completely remade all models so they're my own, and I'm already close to having a track profile ready for support modelling. Here's a few early screenshots of progress made, and I'm looking forward to completing this project to the same standard that I did The Smiler to!

(Can someone fix those or let me know what type of link to use? Never looked at what image embed format NLC is using)

Staff edit: Fixed images for you.

How did you get all of the foundation steps? Are they real? Those were the bane of my existence when designing that structure. I had originally laid out the posts and batters with nice sweeping profiles, but in an effort to help the park save some money, steps were put in the foundation. I couldn't tell you how many times we went back and forth on getting the levels to make sense. It all worked out in the end, but it was a real pain to say the least.

The ride is looking good. Can't wait to see it evolve. Keep up the good work.

You wouldn't believe how difficult it's been to get those steps right. Even now I'm not 100% certain it's perfect but I'm confident that it's close. I found a plan on the lighting report in the application that when blown up to a larger size revealed the position of every step in the foundation. Later proven to be accurate when the bents began going in and the positions matched. I made an educated guess from seeing it IRL that each step was .5m tall, with the taller ones being a full metre. From there I just worked out what I could and laid it out as best I could. I'm striving for absolute accuracy with this, the plans taken from the application have been an enormous help!

Posted May 5, 2018· Edited May 5, 2018

Since the first post not much has changed regarding the track but a significant portion of the landscape has been modelled. As well as a few screenshots of that I'm also including a WIP POV of the track. It's not perfect but I'm trying to match profiling as best I can.

https://youtu.be/_f27rfJNbYU

it's looking great already. The track could use some work with regards to smoothness imho but overall it's looking really recognizable already!

Track seems pretty spot on to me. The last section (unbanked turn and onwards) feels a bit fast, but I'm guessing that's a friction problem not a layout problem.

3D work for the landscape is coming along well, with the entire lower foundations done, and a boundary beginning to be set for the accessible environment that will be in the finished build.

Posted May 13, 2018· Edited May 13, 2018

@Aytrane: Ahah! I called it! It was an honest shot in the dark but I'm really glad I got that right!

An update for everyone, the landscape for the attraction itself is almost done, with a few small gaps left to go between pavement and the rapids trough, as well as small patches at the Eastern end of the site. A clear boundary has been set too, to ensure I'm not stretching beyond what NL2 can handle considering the entire landscape has been modelled. The land file is very clean with the entirety of what's been made so far reaching only 25k polygons, buildings included. Track profiling has made good progress too, with the shape almost being ready to begin supporting of basic areas like the lift, brake run and prelift. Enjoy the update!

After putting it off for quite some time I've finally made a start on the support structure for the ride, starting with the lift, brake run and prelift. Making some good progress so far, since it's also allowing me to clean up some inconsistencies in the landscape and conflicts where supports are colliding with other areas. It's going to take a long time to complete but I'm confident it'll look pretty damn good once complete.

Posted August 6, 2018· Edited August 6, 2018

Not going to happen. Due to resources I used making it, plus the fact that I won't upload an unfinished project, this won't be released anytime soon, if ever.

As many on the NLC Discord are already aware I'm back on this project and moving full steam ahead! I've fully supported the upper 2/3 of the lift hill and the exposed part of the first drop out of it as well, done the steel frame for the wicker man effigy itself which I'm collaborating with Dave from VTO (one last time) to get finished. Current progress is on the large turnaround before the two bunny hills and the queue line that it surrounds.

ImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgur

It's been just less than three weeks and there's tons of work to show for it! Turns out I haven't burnt out on this as quickly as I expected and instead I've blazed ahead (excuse the pun) with progress to complete loads of areas of fencing, around 80% of the ride structure is complete, and a second-draft placeholder wood-finish has been placed over the steel framework for the Wicker Man.

ImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgur

Haha! Yeah, as Skyscraper has said, Wicker Man won't be released until it's finished, which granted may not look far away but there is a lot of scripting, extra details, and theming elements to add in. I'm still yet to finish the queue line fencing even. Worry not, things are progressing out of sight (or in sight if you're in the NLC Discord sever)

Another bumper update, as it seems like ages goes by between each of these, loads of work has been done to the ride structure, fencing and interior detailing. Without going too much into detail, the progress can be seen here.

ImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgurImgur

1 to 25 of 39