MAD MAX Coaster Contest
Great, a new NL2 contest!
Btw, I got one question: Do we have to consider all the buildings included in the red area or do we have to do it like the land is a flat desert land?
You can do it like its all flat desert, if this coaster ever were built those buildings would probably be moved.
ttrreenntt posted on March 21st, 2018
You can do it like its all flat desert, if this coaster ever were built those buildings would probably be moved.
Awesome, thanks for the answer! :)
Here's a sidenote: Your sketchup design has many blue faces and some walls are only faces. Actually, in NoLimits2, the blue faces are hidden when the design is in NL2. So, in the station, the inside walls are not visible. Also, the current station is very short to accomodate a 7 or 8 cars train (43 ft). For exemple, the Skyrush station is 73 ft long.
Cool, I'll get right to fixing up the model, thanks for your help!
EDIT: The model has been updated and is on the drive. :)
What's the height difference between the floor of the Train and the rails based on your solidworks model of the trains? That information would be useful to place the track vertically inside the station.
I've got a question. In which direction do you want the trains to be dispatched?
Also, I just downloaded your last edited version of the 3D model. So the station length is now ok but the blue/grey faces still subsits. Look at the screenshot below and you'll see what I mean. The problem with these faces is that in NL2, they don't show...
To fix the problem:
- right click on the blue/grey face
- then click "Invert Faces"
- And to finish, re-texture the inverted faces
I may be a bit picky but it's to make the final result great!

The top of the rails to the floor of the car is 15.3 inches. From the center of the rails to the floor of the car is 17.895 in.
I've (re)updated the model, I made the entire thing white for now just to make sure that it all shows up. I'll hopefully be adding rock texture and other small detail work this week/weekend.
I just checked your re-updated model. I made some last adjustments for it to be great in NL2. So, if you wan't, I can send it to you.
I really like this idea of a contest to put a coaster around buildings in a constrained template. You should in the future make a la qua japan template for people to put a coaster over and around buildings and through a hubless ferris wheel.
AceDFe19, yeah if you could send it that'd be great!
Wow, thank you for the quick reply, referring to the distance I asked for. That's super useful :)
I got the same error
Hey everyone, sorry about the confusion, I've updated the files to include all the textures needed. Even if the textures don't work, they're not completely essential yet. I've included a wall in the model to indicate where you are allowed to build.
Here are some of the dimensions of the trains if anyone needs them:
https://trentburton9.wixsite.com/capstonecoaster/copy-3-of-3-3-18-update
Would someone be a dear and upload a NL2 park with the model in? My sketchup is being less than helpful at the moment and won't let me update it to open the file.
Sorry just started working on the coaster and was wondering where you wanted the switch track for the train storage to be?
There is now a NoLimits template of the station up at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RubHIUZ5xpaDNFi53elMCsQF4_Bf_7gJ
Thanks to everyone for your patience with the station, hopefully its all good now :)
The switch track can be any of the places highlighted in red at https://trentburton9.wixsite.com/capstonecoaster/copy-4-of-3-3-18-update but really anywhere on the opposite side from the pavilion area should be fine.
Yup, that works :)
Hey Everyone! I've had a few questions about submitting your coasters and I thought I'd share how to do it. If you could upload a POV of your layout (preferably to YouTube) that would be perfect! Unfortunately, I can't view it in NoLimits. If you want to add some cool off ride shots you can but its not required.
Also, inversions aren't required. I generally prefer inversions but it is totally cool if your layout doesn't have them. Sorry for the confusion this may have caused.
Hey everyone, sorry about the TRIPLE post but I've added an update to the project site. All of the buildings now have textures (though a lot of them are temporary) and I've added a lot of theming. I also included a rendering of the trains. You can check all that out at https://trentburton9.wixsite.com/capstonecoaster/copy-2-of-3-3-18-update-1
I'd love to see any updates or progress that you all have made! Feel free to post progress images to this forum or you can message me directly and I'll be sure to give feedback!
Thanks, everyone :)
I'm done, credits to TheSwant98 for making the POV!






Hey Everyone!
My name is Trent Burton, I'm a senior Industrial Design student at the International Center for Creativity (ICC) in Columbus, Ohio. I'm currently in the middle of my senior capstone project. I’m creating a station, queue line, trains, a pavilion, and just general theming for a MAD MAX: FURY ROAD themed roller coaster. I'd like to have a roller coaster to show people along with all these parts. The only problem is that I don't own NoLimits or know how to use it.
That’s where you all come in.
I’m holding a contest to design the coaster that will be shown alongside my presentation to the professors and students at the ICC on April 30th. Unfortunately, I'm a broke college kid so I won't be able to have a cash prize, however, the winner will be given full credit for their work in the presentation as well as anywhere else the project is shown.
If there are several tracks that I think are great, I'll present them all as possible alternative layouts.
Due to the rapid timeline of my project, contest entries must be submitted by April 15th. From there I’ll work with the winner to tweak the design for my presentation.
Here are the guidelines:
Both NoLimits 1 and NoLimits 2 tracks will be considered but NL2 is preferred.
The ride is intended to fit into Warner Bros. Movie World in Australia. Try to make the ride unique from the other coasters in the park. They've got a Mack Hypercoaster, an Intamin Accelerator coaster, an S&S El Loco, and a Vekoma SLC.
The rides trains will be an Intamin Wing Rider style (like Skyrush at Hersheypark or Flying Aces at Ferrari World) However, you don’t need to make the trains in NoLimits, most of what I’ll need is a layout and POV. If you really want correct trains, feel free to create your own.
There should be 8 cars per train and 2-3 trains.
The coaster’s layout should maintain a sense of speed and intensity throughout to emulate the MAD MAX brand. Nine times out of ten, I prefer a shorter ride with elements that all feel like they belong over a longer ride that isn’t as cohesive. Inversions are encouraged.
Adding extra theming will not necessarily help or hinder chances of winning.
The coaster must fit inside the red outline shown in the image below (except for the station and final brake run.) The space is fairly large so hopefully space won’t be too much of a problem. There is no obligation to use the entire area if you don’t want/need to.
You may include a lift hill or a launch (or multiple). If a lift hill is included it may be as high as you want however, all other elements must be kept below 130ft tall.
The track should be sandy yellow however, you may choose the support color for now.
Contestants should upload a POV (HD is best).
Unfortunately, I don't own the full version of either NoLimits so I can't give y'all a park, however, you can download the basic volumes of the station, queue, and pavilion here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RubHIUZ5xpaDNFi53elMCsQF4_Bf_7gJ?usp=sharing
I've included both the Sketchup file as well as a .dae file that you should be able to import into a NoLimits park. I will be updating this model for the final presentation, however, I don't think there will be any changes that will affect the coaster's layout. All future changes should be just surface-level styling.
For more details about my side of the project, you can visit my project site: https://trentburton9.wixsite.com/capstonecoaster
Thanks in advance, everyone! I'm super excited to see what layouts you all come up with!
-Trent