Skip to content

Coastin' Dave's Thread: PROJECT DARK RIDE

26 to 34 of 34

cody posted on March 28th, 2023

Looks awesome! Have not gotten my bearings on Nolimits, but RCT3 is my main thing. WDW SM cars would have been amazing to have.

I actually made space mountain cars in RCT3 ages ago - there were absolute garbage. I've gotten much better at modelling since then. I'm still working on these ones.

In the meantime:
https://nolimitscentral.com/exchange/park/2407

MACK WILD MOUSE CARS! I figured that as much as I'd like to keep doing edits on them, I should just get a release out there for people to start playing with. All I ask is that if you use these in videos, posts or park releases that you please credit me.
Thank you - I hope you all enjoy. Instructions are in the description.

I'll get around to the others when I can.

Posted May 25, 2023· Edited May 25, 2023

I think there needs to be more stuff for dark rides in NL. Here's some items I'm working with for a potential scenery package:

I'm farming Planet Cool for parts - I built Planet Cool to US Building codes (or at least what I can find publicly - the code books are expensive) so that means the exit doors, walkways, etc, all meet fire code and the steel structure of the building is fairly accurate to what would actually be built if it were real.

I went so far as including emergency exit gates at strategic moments in the queue, AEDs, and even HVAC systems.

So what I'm thinking is I can maybe do a scenery pack for NL of these items and of course it will have the DAEs so you can use them on your own 3D models if you prefer to work that way.

The registers on the right are for a basic quick service setup - I've seen four registers in the same amount of space and of course you can also drop it down to two - I like three, but you get the idea - I also took some measurements of retail register counters at one of the parks and used that for the register desk on the left. The dining booth and table and chairs are all made to specs of actual commercial booths and such that are available to real restaurants.

I also have a water cooler for your cast members, a three part water fountain with drink refill station, oil drum, stryker stair chair for ADA evacs, a garage door for dark rides and maintenance bays, and of course my OSHA compliant catwalk set.

I even went so far as to get the actual dimensions of the Alcorn McBride show controllers if you want those - I put the ride player on my Planet Cool cars.

And if that wasn't nerdy enough for you:

For the cast member break room - I used the posters a Tennessee work place would have because that's the state I'm in, but I also included fake park phone numbers, radio codes, employee of the month and employee schedules.

So yeah - there's that too.

I'd like to get some vehicles working as well and figure out a system for that - what dark ride vehicle types would everyone like to see?

I don't build or make dark rides myself, but since no one else has left any comments on it, i'm gonna go ahead and leave some words for you.

Vehicle types: I'd say just go ahead and make 2 or 3 of the popular styles that you see in widespread use, and maybe throw in a curve ball or two. You know, something a little bit different, an original design maybe? And just make as many as you feel is necessary. Don't have to go overboard making like 10-15 different models or so to cover all bases. I know modelling can be a grind at times, lol.
The scenery objects you've made in those screens look good. Nice work.

I've always wanted to do a scenery pack of some sort to upload for people to use. But the difficult part is coming up with an idea that hasn't already been done, thinking of something that's going to be useful, and making things you're actually capable of making.

Womp83 posted on May 31st, 2023

I don't build or make dark rides myself, but since no one else has left any comments on it, i'm gonna go ahead and leave some words for you.

Vehicle types: I'd say just go ahead and make 2 or 3 of the popular styles that you see in widespread use, and maybe throw in a curve ball or two. You know, something a little bit different, an original design maybe? And just make as many as you feel is necessary. Don't have to go overboard making like 10-15 different models or so to cover all bases. I know modelling can be a grind at times, lol.
The scenery objects you've made in those screens look good. Nice work.

I've always wanted to do a scenery pack of some sort to upload for people to use. But the difficult part is coming up with an idea that hasn't already been done, thinking of something that's going to be useful, and making things you're actually capable of making.

Thanks - I'm working with someone on perfected some car scripts. I think I know a few basic car types to do. I'm going to stay away from robotics right now since that's a whole other beast in and of itself.

I plan to at least release the catwalk set - it needs some updates, but when it's ready I'll get it out. I want to set it up to be recolorable because it currently isn't.

For starters, I'm thinking maybe a classic storybook dark ride car - like Mr. Toad's but more generic maybe? Maybe a generic car version of Rise of the Resistance? Again - stuff that doesn't require robotics right now. Rides with hydraulic pistons and robot arms are going to be quite a challenge. I have a Kuka arm car model that is nearly complete, but again - figuring out how to make it usable for a lot of people will be very difficult but hey, one step at a time. I'll post more updates when I get them.

zacharynolimits1999 posted on January 10th, 2023

Do you want one? I'm not opposed to it, but which coaster are you thinking of? You said "custom" so I'm not sure what exactly you want - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is basically just that - look closely at the shell - it's basically first gen arrow shaping (especially the front car which has a perfectly flat front interior wall).

Yes I want that. Actually just Arrow first gen corkscrew/looper train. This looked like this:

In Nolimits 2, they used Arrow's second gen corkscrew trains like this:

real life

in-game screenshot

Those trains would be used for pre-1984 Arrow creations or recreations.

Coastin’ dave, is there any link or download for your space mountain track and trains? I’ve been looking everywhere but you only have them but no link.

26 to 34 of 34