Coastin' Dave's Thread: PROJECT DARK RIDE
Nice work on all those.
I won't leave you a list of which ones i'd like to see uploaded, as i haven't been very active in NL2 for a while now. So i'll leave that for the ones who are active and will be using them. Just came in here to leave this message. :)
I'd like to make some custom trains of my own, but i just don't have the scripting knowledge to make all the fancy bits work properly. (restraint & wheel animations, etc) So my custom trains are limited to attachments that fit over the top of a default train/car.
Hope you had a good Christmas too.
where can i get the MACK Wildmouse trains they look so cool
Edit: ooh i now see that you're releasing them in 2023 well im deff gonna use them i really love some great CT'S
Womp83 posted on December 27th, 2022
Nice work on all those.
I won't leave you a list of which ones i'd like to see uploaded, as i haven't been very active in NL2 for a while now. So i'll leave that for the ones who are active and will be using them. Just came in here to leave this message. :)I'd like to make some custom trains of my own, but i just don't have the scripting knowledge to make all the fancy bits work properly. (restraint & wheel animations, etc) So my custom trains are limited to attachments that fit over the top of a default train/car.
Hope you had a good Christmas too.
Thanks - I appreciate that. Had these on the shelf for awhile so I'm looking forward to getting some out there.
Jappies_Coaster_Fun posted on December 30th, 2022
where can i get the MACK Wildmouse trains they look so cool
Edit: ooh i now see that you're releasing them in 2023 well im deff gonna use them i really love some great CT'S
Not sure when exactly I'll release them but they're pretty much done so I should be getting them out soon. Any of the other trains look appealing?
they all look really good and HQ
and i will use them all
I wish he could make a custom Arrow Dynamics First-gen corkscrew/looper train.
Jappies_Coaster_Fun posted on January 3rd, 2023
they all look really good and HQ
and i will use them all
Thanks - I'll get the wild mouse out first. Keep an eye out - it's nearly ready.
zacharynolimits1999 posted on January 7th, 2023
I wish he could make a custom Arrow Dynamics First-gen corkscrew/looper train.
Do you want one? I'm not opposed to it, but which coaster are you thinking of? You said "custom" so I'm not sure what exactly you want - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is basically just that - look closely at the shell - it's basically first gen arrow shaping (especially the front car which has a perfectly flat front interior wall).
How about the standup arrow corkscrew coaster train. https://rcdb.com/496.htm#p=18218
Do you want one? I'm not opposed to it, but which coaster are you thinking of? You said "custom" so I'm not sure what exactly you want - Rock 'n' Roller Coaster is basically just that - look closely at the shell - it's basically first gen arrow shaping (especially the front car which has a perfectly flat front interior wall).
Yes I want that. Actually just Arrow first gen corkscrew/looper train. This looked like this:




In Nolimits 2, they used Arrow's second gen corkscrew trains like this:

real life

in-game screenshot
btw if you're gonna make trains again and need an idea i would really love a Vekoma junior/boomerang train
and i am really looking forward to using the wildmouse
Jappies_Coaster_Fun posted on January 12th, 2023
btw if you're gonna make trains again and need an idea i would really love a Vekoma junior/boomerang train
and i am really looking forward to using the wildmouse
I may consider it. I should get the wild mouse out soon.

Also this......
I've decided that I want to clean up some of these cars before release.

So here's what I'm thinking: I'm making a series of various generic recolorable textures (seat textures, metal textures, etc) that will make it so each car I release can be fully customized for your own creations.

The colors are atrocious, but I just wanted to show that most every part of the car can be recolored (the only exceptions being the silver chassis under the car and the underside of the car floor which is black - BUT depending on the car color scheme those can be options to recolor as well for other cars).
I'm also working with a few others to help me get some special scripts working on all of these vehicles to give you even more customization options.
So far, the Space Mountain rocket is my test vehicle to get everything working - I will be making a version with adjusted wheels to fit the vekoma mine train track so you can make your own custom space rides! (There will still be a version fit for the actual space mountain rail dimensions which are a bit smaller than the mine train though not by much).
As part of the car customization scripts, you will be able to select your car number from the scenery menu to help keep track of all your trains!
IN THE EDITOR JUST PICK THE NUMBER:

AND IT RENDERS IN THE SIM!


I want to give a huge shout out to Red-Thirten and thecodemaster for their help with these scripts.
I still have some more testing to conduct to ensure everything is working properly but the system is getting there.

Coastin' Dave, after the Space Mountain car was released, can you make Arrow's first-gen corkscrew/looper train?
zacharynolimits1999 posted on February 13th, 2023
Coastin' Dave, after the Space Mountain car was released, can you make Arrow's first-gen corkscrew/looper train?
I've got a lot I'm working on right now - if you really want one I can make it, but I will have to ask for that as a small commission. DM me and we can work out the details.
I am working on a system for all of my trains that will allow them all to be recolorable and feature texture options you can easily adjust like the car number. If I do your arrow corkscrew I will include those features.
The Space Mountain train is making great progress and it's getting closer - hopefully should have more updates on that soon and a possible release (I will release a slightly edited version to fit the in-game vekoma mine train track - the more proper version with a custom track profile will come later - the Mack wild mouse will also come soon once I get the SM train working properly)
zacharynolimits1999 posted on February 14th, 2023
Coastin' Dave, after the Space Mountain car was released, can you make Arrow's first-gen corkscrew/looper train?
Honestly I don't think thinner OTSRs is really worth a brand new custom train, unless some massive functionality upgrades were implemented.
ThatFlyerGuy1 posted on February 15th, 2023
Honestly I don't think thinner OTSRs is really worth a brand new custom train, unless some massive functionality upgrades were implemented.
If he wants it though I'll do it for a commission - all I'm saying. I have a few cars I'm still working out that will be free, but no matter if you find it useful, if it means that much to him and we can work out a price I can do it. The old school arrow corkscrew train is fairly similar in geometry to Rock 'n' Roller Coaster so I'm quite familiar with that train shape. I have some references on the sizing of the train so it's do-able - plus it's not just the restraints that are different: the front of the shell of the middle cars is more squared off and the headrests have a different design and feel to them than the more modern trains.
what is the status of the wildmouse trains?
Jappies_Coaster_Fun posted on February 20th, 2023
what is the status of the wildmouse trains?
I have to put that on hold for just a bit - hopefully I'll have an update soon.
I'm using the Space Mountain train to better optimize my custom trains and that one is having a few issues that still need to be figured out. It's getting there, slowly but surely.
Quick update to the Space Mountain train:

With the color possibilities, you can turn it into a bobsled theme quite easily!

So to make this as customizable as possible, I am making a second option for the back car - a more squared off generic version of the bumper that isn't themed to rocket boosters so you can use this train for bobsled coasters or other such themes:

If you have further suggestions before release please let me know.
There still is more work to be done to get the train fully functional but it's making tremendous progress. Special thanks to Red-Thirten and thecodemaster for their help with getting these cars scripted.
My advice would be to shift to Blender to give you more control over edges and shading. It's a good start, however some of the shading and normals definitely hark back to the early days of custom rides!
ThatFlyerGuy1 posted on March 2nd, 2023
My advice would be to shift to Blender to give you more control over edges and shading. It's a good start, however some of the shading and normals definitely hark back to the early days of custom rides!
Thanks - I'm working on getting into Blender for final texturing and exports. I still think sketchup can be useful in a lot of ways because of its architectural leanings, but for final export I'll probably switch it to blender.
I'll still give it recolorable textures and all that so it should function the same. Stay tuned for further updates.
Thanks - I'm working on getting into Blender for final texturing and exports. I still think sketchup can be useful in a lot of ways because of its architectural leanings, but for final export I'll probably switch it to blender.
If you need some help with this, you can pm me ;) Sketchup files are sometimes a bit tricky to get them perform well =) A simple import/export won´t do the trick.
dugati posted on March 4th, 2023
Thanks - I'm working on getting into Blender for final texturing and exports. I still think sketchup can be useful in a lot of ways because of its architectural leanings, but for final export I'll probably switch it to blender.
If you need some help with this, you can pm me ;) Sketchup files are sometimes a bit tricky to get them perform well =) A simple import/export won´t do the trick.
Thank you - I think I'm just going to trace what I had already modeled and re-make it in blender. I'm working with thecodemaster on a new setup for trains so I'll need to re-work a lot of the model anyway. Getting the dimensions and geometry right was the tricky part and that's all figured out now - so I can get a more optimized model made sometime in the near future.
The goal here is to make a new simple and standardized system for custom trains - Space Mountain will be the first released and it will include everything you need to make other trains from a few recolorable textures, materials, as well as all of the scripts and instructions on how to use them. The texture script is working nicely now - I just updated it so you just type the car number instead of a check box - and you can add as many textures as you need for your fleet of vehicles!

Looks awesome! Have not gotten my bearings on Nolimits, but RCT3 is my main thing. WDW SM cars would have been amazing to have.

Alright - I have been procrastinating on this for FAR too long. So I want 2023 to be the year I finally give back to the NL community like never before. Over the years I've made a fair number of train models but never released them.
Let's change that.
For now, I'm going to show the models I have (and yes they're done in sketchup - get over it) and I want you all to let me know what piques your interest.
thecodemaster was kind enough to teach me how to export these into NL and while I'm still getting used to the process, I should be able to get all of these functioning properly (well, mostly ¯_(ツ)_/¯ ).
Here's the lineup:
MACK WILD MOUSE!
Seriously, this is such a classic and a staple of so many parks I'm not sure why it's not already in NL.
Comes with seat cams and this cool rear cam like RCT3.
You can also recolor pretty much everything. I don't know if anyone will need that much customization but either way, it's there for you if you want it. Same with the bogies.
NEXT UP:
This is an older model of the train, but it was measured from the real one (there was an old one on display at my college - and I had a tape measure and a notebook and yeah...)
This track is a bit of a nightmare and it needs a LOT of work but if anyone is interested in this coaster, I'm working on trains and track profiles for it.
Still, I spent a fair amount of time around these trains as I worked the Mountain for awhile back in college.
But maybe you want a dark coaster train that's a little...
faster
I also worked this coaster for a time - the queue has a blueprint-looking image of the train with dimensions. I plan to do a somewhat generic version of this train and maybe a fully themed one. MAYBE.
I went into a fair amount of detail on these trains while still keeping the poly count low.
I have a few more floating around, but for now, I will just show one more ride vehicle.
Several years ago I started working on a special dark ride in NL - and for what I hope are obvious reasons I am no longer working on this ride. (I mean - that entry facade did NOT age well - it was supposed to set up a very questionable science lab and yeah - time was not kind to this concept).
(the "virus" here was supposed to be "knowledge" according to the lab owners and it was a joke about how they view science as a virus to spread - almost like they're making a threat - I was going for Aperture Science vibes here and yeah - ¯_(ツ)_/¯ )
I think by the test seats many of you already know where this is going...
While the ride itself was never completed even as a static concept model, I still continued to perfect the ride vehicles themselves in hopes of eventually getting them to operate. And while "L.E.B. LABS" probably won't ever see the light of day, this sci-fi version of the kuka arm still might.
I never got this running in the sim though - just static models placed about a load platform.
I'm open to suggestions if anyone knows how to make this thing run - but I did work at Dragon Challenge in its final days and the break room was beside the maintenance bay of Forbidden Journey - I got to see the arms up close and personal which in turn, helped me figure out the geometry of them.
Needless to say, I'm quite confident in this model being pretty accurate to the real thing.
Again, this one had this whole science lab theme but if anyone knows how to get this thing actually working in NL, I'll release a generic version so you guys can play with it and make it your own.
Well alright - that's all for now. Let me know what you guys want to see in game soon and I'll see what I can do - I've greatly enjoyed so many custom trains and objects from so many of you out there so I feel like now is a good time for me to give back what I have. Any releases will be free to the community and if anyone wants model files to edit so they can do custom theme jobs to the trains, I am cool with that so long as I am credited in any official releases.
Thanks for everything everyone - I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year; I hope to get you all some of these trains soon!