Skip to content

Custom trenches and terrain

1 to 7 of 7
Posted December 18, 2021· Edited December 18, 2021

Hi everyone! New to the forums but not new to No Limits haha. I've began messing around with custom objects and would like to make some trenches, but I'm a bit confused when it comes to the terrain.

I use the virutal tunnels to create a gap in the ground, but I don't know how to make a trench that perfectly fits this gap.

Here's what I did:

Screenshot it in frozen form, and put a 2m fence on the ground as reference. I then put this shot into Rhino 6 and scaled it using the fence as a reference. Then I traced the gap in the ground and created a trench model off of this. However, although it is technically scaled correctly, when I import this model into NL2 it is wayyyyy smaller. I found a scale factor of 12 was almost perfect, but still had graps and ugly bits.

Should I try learning blender? I see most modeling support here is in relation to this. I use Rhino a lot for school, but if Blender is the way to go I can try to figure that out.

Here's a video where you can see it.
Video

In the past I had made trenches by creating a large flat piece to hide the terrain underneath. I know I can do this, but I'd like to have actual terrain in my current project like hills and water, so that would defeat the purpose.

I'd love to add pictures but unfortunately I don't know how lol. I haven't participated in a forum since my RCT3 days and early NL1 days back in 2010.

Thanks for any help!

Posted March 3, 2024· Edited March 3, 2024

Well hey, here I am doing a dirty (2+ year old) bump but it's my own post and I was about to post again with the nearly identical question lol.

My question is less so about how to, I'm very confident in my modeling ability, I guess my question is about the little technicalities of No Limits ground scenery.

Here's something I'm currently working on. It's a coaster I made 11+ years ago in No Limits 1, but I remade it in NL2 with the use of FVD++. I want trenches integrated into the ground itself, not in concrete patches of flat terrain like I did with previous projects.

My question is, in this case is the typical approach to entirely model the terrain in a 3D modeling program and ignore the in-game terrain tools? Do you use the virtual tunnel in-game and use the hole in the terrain that creates? Do you only model fake terrain around where you want the trenches and just hide the edges of the model with other scenery/into the ground?

Like I said, I don't need help with the modeling and importing, I'm just curious what the typical approach is.

EDIT: okay, it appears I still don't know how to link images. I haven't used forums since I was active in RCTLounge back in 2009 so it's been awhile, my appologies. Here's the link https://imgur.com/a/S3HaBgV

Posted March 3, 2024· Edited March 3, 2024

When i do need to make trenches like in your image.

Here its how i make it work :

Use a 2nd coaster type 4D (is the widest from them all and has the widest tunnel)
Set that part of the coaster track invisible !! (but it shows the empty space in your ground)

Make a trench like u made and u can make it a lot wider, so it will allways fit your your (smaller) trains.

Any updates on if this technique worked? I've created a trench using a 2nd coaster and setting it as invisible & virtual, but now i cant get my original coaster's supports to lower into the trench...

1 to 7 of 7