Skip to content

Preview pics - confused!

1 to 9 of 9

Whilst awaiting the establishment of my new all-singing, all dancing PC (bought specially for NL2 purposes), I thought I'd do a bit of housekeeping on my current coaster collection of several hundred. This includes setting up a standard "preview" jpg, and I'm enjoying myself creating the best snapshot I can for each. I've made the appropriate links and it all works fine : when selecting a coaster to open, it now has a picture rather than the standard icon. So far, so good. However...... when I do ALT+X, to switch between edit and play, for example, the picture behind the Play / Editor / Setup / Help / Info / Quit tabs is not the preview pic (which is what that I was expecting). It's certainly the coaster in question, but rather an "arbitrary" view in my opinion. Where the deuce is it getting that picture from, and how does one change it? Thanks!

Posted July 6, 2021· Edited July 6, 2021

Make a screen shot u like to have as Preview image (stored in My Documents / My Images)

Go in your EDITOR
tab : Park
button : Park Settings

u see Preview : use button [...] to select the preview image

Don't forget to save your park to take effect of the change.

Good luck, please feel free to ask again.

The above is what I've already done (successfully) a couple of hundred times now, and that DOES work. It's the screen (background pic) you get when you do ALT+X. I'm sorry, but I thought I'd explained it above.... I don't know how else to express it!

The view that will be displayed behind the Play/Editor etc. buttons is the initial position. When the park is loading play mode, the picture you selected should appear.

Posted July 7, 2021· Edited July 7, 2021

"Where the deuce is it getting that picture from, and how does one change it? Thanks!"

Answer : is the same position (FOV minimum zoom tnx RMC It) what u stored in the Initial Position

Firstly, thanks all for your replies. I'm pleased you can see what I'm getting at. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disgrace myself further by saying I've never understood that "initial position" thing! (Though I realise initial position and initial view are separate aspects.) Here's what I do for ALL my coasters:-

  1. Set park view to "Ride View (Closest)".
  2. Set coaster properties / trains start block to the track segment I've named "Station".

Sure enough, that's where the car starts, and if I'm not mistaken, it puts a green triangle in that place.

Now then..... I've seen those tabs on the Park screen, but:-

  1. "Set Initial Position" is ALWAYS greyed out.
  2. "Move To Initial Position" is ALWAYS greyed out.
  3. "Reset Initial Position" isn't greyed out, but selecting it does absolutely nothing that I can see.

That's the way it's always been for me, so I've never bothered with those tabs from Day One.

So when you mention things like "FOV" and zooming in, etc. I really am at a loss I'm afraid!

The initial position is the view you see in Perspective when you enter the park in the Editor.
Here are what each of the Initial Position buttons/functions do (to make them clickable, go to Perspective view):

Set Initial Position
This button sets whatever position you are at in Perspective View to the Initial Position.

Move to Initial Position
This button will move you to the Initial Position that you set.

Reset Initial Position
This button will set the Initial Position to the center of the park.

The FOV (Field of View) is how zoomed in you are in Perspective View. To change it, use the slider beside the spline selector (where you select Speed Comb, G-force comb, etc.). Move it to the left to set it to the max field of view (minimum zoom).

Feel free to ask again ;)

Hope this helps,
RMC It

Aaaah, I get it now! So the whole thing is only an issue when you're in "perspective" view. I see. I've had a dabble and it works fine. Thanks again for the enlightenment!

1 to 9 of 9