Skip to content

Inconsistent red spike

1 to 4 of 4
Posted April 12, 2021· Edited April 12, 2021

I’m working on a coaster with a drop turn. On one of the bents the g-force comb is showing a red spike of over 2 lateral gs. However, when I check it in the simulator, the red spike occurs only rarely, perhaps every 10 cycles, and even then for such a small fraction of a second that I’ve been unable to pause it in time to read the numbers. Is there any way of interrogating the g-force comb to find out what it is seeing?

I guess I’m not sure what you mean by “interrogate” the g-force comb.

That being said, I have 2 thoughts. First is you have to remember that neither the g-force comb or the simulator g-force readout are “continuous” information sources. The comb shows you (guess-timating from memory) something like a value every 10cm. So, short spikes could be missed in that gap...or averaged away (I don’t know how NL2 handles the discrete calculation). Similarly, the simulator shows you g-force at the instant the frame is rendered. The train will travel a discrete distance down the track between frames depending on your frame rate every train will be in a slightly different location on the track when the frame is rendered. So, the simulator g-force readout will be slightly different every time a train goes by a spot.

Another thought to remember is the simulator g-force readout is specific to the seat that you are currently set to view from while comb is some sort of “effective while train value”. I would think it’s probably for roughly center of train, but don’t actually know. This can be a source of discrepancy between the 2 information sources.

One last thing to remember (and I don’t condone using this as an excuse, but you could...) is that even the standard used to limit g-forces for real rides doesn’t consider spikes shorter than 0.2 seconds. So, if your spike is so short it’s slipping between frames, it’s probably not a big deal from a realistic limit perspective.

1 to 4 of 4