Skip to content

Five Hours of Power VI - Winner: RCT3andNL2stuff

26 to 50 of 66

I may be able to unofficially participate as historically FVD is not allowed (unless there's an exception made this year.) I haven't hand-built since NL1 days and the two node systems are very different, so none of my old skills translate now. FVD is much preferred anyway, even for woodies using geometric sections. The in-editor FVD is a little lacking on precision when compared to FVD++ also.
Either way, I'm excited to see the contest and all of the entries!

As everyone will tell you, you don't have the time for extreme precision in this contest. It's sometimes more important just to finish the contest, especially since we usually throw enough curve balls at you that being able to quickly whip together or modify custom supports is just as important as your track shaping.

-Ride_Op

I can crank out a layout in FVD++ in 1-2 hours at most when I'm prototyping ideas, so I'm not worried about finishing that portion. And 3-4 hours to flesh out some supports seems reasonable to me. :)

When I say precision, I don't mean exactly where the track goes, but how you tell the track where to go. Setting the graph independently for time and magnitude with the scroll wheel is easier for me than using the cursor to move them both at the same time; inevitably you change one when you change the other since mouse movements are hard to restrict to the axes on your screen.

I was so looking forward to finally competing in one when I realized for the third year in a row I forgot to ask off for work...

I'm calling it now they are going to make a wood coaster for us to RMC to show off the new update. However, that would be too easy to make in five hours so there might be more to it.... or I could just be wrong.

Hmmm... "11 am EDT to 4 pm EDT."
EDT is 5 hours behind GMT. So that's 4pm GMT to 9pm GMT.

I actually may be able to participate if I'm not called for work or anything.

It'll be my second year entering. I will be better prepared this year... Last year I was like "how hard can it be"... As it turns out, very hard.
I just hope it doesn't focus too heavily on any obscure functions that I don't know exist...! Haha.
Good luck folks.

Does anyone think we actually have a chance of building something good or is it just going to be 5 hours of sweating and strugling to complete any kind of layout that fits the brief?

Ride_Op posted on May 15th, 2020

No one will be in their comfort zones this year!

Maniacal laugh.

-Ride_Op

as if someone was last year, and the year prior, and the year before that and well, you get the point..... I'm still waiting for a 5 hours of power where I won't be staring at a list of curveballs thinking about what the heck I can build in under 4 hours en 15 minutes, cause the first 45 minutes is always trial and error trying to squeeze in an impossible coaster style before again settling with an intamin launch coaster (That has 5 extremely long trains to reach the minimum capacity requirement of no coaster ever reached that amount of riders per hour since the creation of Earth. So much love for the 5 hours of stressful hairpulling and emotion eating we all trick ourselves in to participate again each and every year :D

Please share with us where you plan to live stream your 5HOP effort!

(no, it's not required to live stream it, but if you are, let us know so we can watch!)

-Ride_Op

It would be fun to compete but Saturday is my day off and with 3 kids and house to work on 5 hours on a Saturday morning makes it hard to compete. Maybe some day.

26 to 50 of 66