Skip to content

Creating a Themepark from Scratch | Level Design Blog | DAY 5 & 6

1 to 10 of 10

Introduction

Hello everyone! Normally I keep my work in the 3D Modeling thread but I felt that this project is substantial enough to make for a pretty interesting blog post. Recently, I was paid and contracted to work on a Community Fueled map for Hide or Die. This includes roughly 180hrs of development, being entirely streamed live at https://www.twitch.tv/chris0matic (schedule below). The winning theme was an Abandoned Carnival/Themepark, and I feel this could be one of the first big attempts at bringing an accurate theme park environment to UE4, though totally desolate and creepy.

DAY 1

When it comes to creating a large environment, one of the first steps includes blocking out the area and getting a proper feel for the composure. The first five hours of the project consisted of making a very basic mockup of everything I wanted (I sat down with the lead developers and we came up with a 2D layout to work off of) and, with that taking a whole lot of time, I was able to get a pretty awesome looking layout. Now it isn't perfect, the Woodie is really small and some scaling is off with other rides, but overall this is a great and essential stepping stone to bringing together such a detailed environment.

Here's the current progress of the level as of now. As you may notice, we're trying to go for an environment where the outskirts of the park are very rural, old farmsteads and a Corn Maze surround the area. The actual park will overall take on a carnival-y vibe but will take major inspiration from now-desolate parks like New Orleans and Chernobyl's abandoned park.

Conclusion

This is the start of a very extensive project and one that'll heavily test my skills, as well as be a great exercise to improve my skills. Not sure if you guys find this interesting at all, but if so I will gladly keep updating the post as more and more comes together! I really love getting opportunities to further my career, and this is one of those things where not only is it good practice, but it's a WHOLE lot of fun designing it as well. Really can't wait to see how the level evolves overtime.

@Bestdani Thanks man! This stuff is really cool to make, and this could be a good place to get a good development blog going :P

Day 2

So after doing very basic blockouts of the area and getting a feel for composure, I was able to spend today hashing out some of those buildings and really bringing a look to the area. During the stream today I finished around 7 different buildings in terms of blocking out, and managed to throw in some minor detail that makes for obvious scenery choices later down the line. Still really early on in development, but REALLY happy with how far it has come in two days! Without further ado, here's some pictures to check out.

Thanks for reading guys, will post another update tomorrow as I round off more work.

Posted September 10, 2018· Edited September 10, 2018

Day 3

Wow... A day where I can actually do some fun stuff? Today seemed like a good opportunity to make some of the bigger attractions, in order to get a better vibe of the park and start to bring some character. Things like the Ferris Wheel, Bumper Cars and other smaller flat rides have been whipped up to fill in the once vacant spaces, and I also went back and did a very large chunk of buildings.

Conclusion

As you can see, I ended up moving the coaster to the back of the park and bringing in the Ferris Wheel to fill it's place. It became apparent that both attractions felt very small, so the wooden coaster was brought to the back so it didn't feel crammed. Other things, like the twirly slide and some of the block-outs need work, but I'm becoming very excited about this project, however there's still a long way to go!

That's a rather original project to follow! I was already following HoD from afar with the streams you do, and I'm glad it makes it way there - and it's even on topic, haha.

Oh, and I hope you put a RCT music in that helter skelter

Replies

Thanks @KingRCT3! It's definitely ambitious, but this has been sort of the test to see how I hold up on projects which involve so much custom modeling, could say I'm happy with the results so far!

Day 4

Today was exciting but also small compared to others, I got a really nice jump on the wooden coaster! Took me a solid 4 hours to model all the supports but the result is worth it, now I can sit back on it while the rest of the park comes into shape, and it'll be detailed much quicker in the future due to its modular design!

Conclusion

Still EXTREMELY rough in places, especially at the broken points, however most of those issues will be an easy fix once I move onto the 2nd detail pass (texturing and what not). Another thing I need to work out is the width of the track. It makes the coaster seem smaller than it really is, but again that's a small thing to fix. Now with the Wooden Coaster fleshed out, the vast majority of large structures are ready to go, leaving just the smaller shops/vendors. As of today there has been a total of 24 hours worth of work put into the level, and I feel that it's really starting to come through.

Day 5 & 6

Due to a lack of work yesterday (had to work on other things in the hours I was working) I decided to hold off what I did then and wait til today for an even bigger update, and that it was! Recently A LOT has been done, and I can say now that all the custom assets are finished in terms of the first detail pass. Crazy enough, there is a total of 38 custom assets in this level. In Yesterday/Today, I finished the station and queue for the wooden coaster as well as the stage. On-top of that, I finished the drop tower and also EVERY building that hasn't been completed thus far.* I even went back and added a bunch of trees, foliage and ground paint to help deliver a convincing look!
*Completion of anything at this point is referring to first detail pass i.e initial block-out/large details phase.

Here's the photo dump:

Conclusion

Today marks a major milestone in creating this map as all the base blocking out and initial design/layout is FULLY finished. What comes next is going back with each model and doing a high-detail pass, then texturing and finalizing in-game. After this phase I will go back a final time and add a bunch of props and detail (that we have on hand) and fill up the level even more. There's a long way to go but this is a major start.

End Note

I will be leaving on vacation for Florida tomorrow (September 13th) and won't be coming back until the 30th. This means there'll be no updates until then, but once I'm back this will quickly become a very rigorous process. Can't say I'm not excited though!

^ I don’t think this thread is the most appropriate place to ask that kind of question, I suggest you direct/private message for requests or questions like that.

Instead, keep comments in here relevant to offering some form of feedback!

—

Really exciting stuff so far, man. I like the atmosphere you’re creating, it reminds me a lot of L4D2

@A113 Thanks a lot man! Appreciate the compliments :) And yeah, a lot of the base design is inspired by L4D, in the sense that it's meant to feel realistic and kinda bring this combination of a classic carnival and a more established themepark.

Where have I been?

Sorry for such a late delay. I recently just got back from a two week vacation, and streaming/work on this project will be at a dead halt until approx. October 15th. The reason for this is because I am currently moving across the country in order to work full-time in the studio. Really big stuff! Can't wait to get back on this and make more progress.

1 to 10 of 10