Skip to content

How do I add texture to scenery?

1 to 3 of 3
Posted October 1, 2023· Edited October 1, 2023

So I recently downloaded NoLimits2 and have just started to use scenery for my coasters, I use default scenery most of the time but often I find myself needing another object than whats offered, and so I just download a 3d model from online as I have 0 experience with 3d modeling, (I usually use CGTrader: https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models) but my models always end up coming out grey and without texture, would anyone know how to add texture and colors to the 3d models, I've tried using tutorials from youtube but they all use 3d models they made themselves where the texture and color just seems to come with the file. If you know any solutions, I would love to know them. Thanks!

Posted October 2, 2023· Edited October 2, 2023

I use Google SketchUp for making models. Export it with *.dae extension. And your color of your model does match in NL2.

I have the PRO version of Google SketchUp and NL2, but that doesn't change the oppertunity to make your own models.

NL2 does work the best with *.dae models or *.3ds, but *.3ds seems to have more polygons in the model. Causing in some cases to temp loss of FPS.

@ Nixed: Been a while since i made something for an NL2 project, but i may be able to offer some help here.
You'll need to set up and assign an NL2 material (NL2MAT) for each texture on your model. The NL2MAT and NL2SCO Editor in the Scenery tab is where you do that. NL2MAT editor lets you select the textures that should come with your downloaded model, and apply them to the model from inside NL2. If you've done everything properly, then when you select your model and click reload, the textures should appear.
I tried to find a decent NL2 texturing tutorial for you, but a lot of the ones on here, the links don't work anymore.

When downloading other people's models from sites like that, you have to be careful not to get something that's too highly detailed. Something low to med. poly would be recommended for custom scenery. I know a lot of models you see on places like cgtrader are often high quality & detail. But you can find some suitable lower detail stuff if you look around.

1 to 3 of 3