Skip to content

Video Export Stutters

1 to 8 of 8

When trying to export a video, the simulation slows down as is normal, but then stops periodically, sometimes as much as once a second. The exported video seems to have stutters in those same spots, and the audio stutters but is shifted.

I'm using the Preset HD 1080 60p with Best LOD unchecked and no Bloom enabled.
Display mode is Borderless Fullscreen, Resolution 2560x1440, no anti-aliasing, frame-rates uncapped.
The park in sim runs at 90+ fps for most, and dips as low as 80 with everything in view.

My computer:
GPU: RX 5700 XT Red Devil
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 6-Core 3.59GHz
Ram: 16.0GB 2667 MHz

Lowering the Display Resolution to 1920x1080 did not improve things.

Any thoughts in how I could improve this?

I was exporting with AVI Raw before, but now exporting with MOV PNG has made things worse. The stutters lasted a fraction of a second, now they are several seconds, and the video skips forward seemingly "catching up" to the timeline when it does so. Totally different behavior this time.

Quite odd. Our video capture function is designed such that when it's capturing it will take all the time needed to render the full resolution and number of frames you have configured. The finished file should play back freely, though it sometimes is necessary to compress the video in a video editor first depending on the file size and other issues.

Can you post a sample video to YouTube or somewhere else to download?

-Ride_Op

Hey Ride_Op, on my M1 iMac my video exports only export an audio file. I've tried changing settings and it will always just output audio only. Am I doing something wrong or is it. a problem with the mac release?

Ride_Op posted on August 24th, 2022

Quite odd. Our video capture function is designed such that when it's capturing it will take all the time needed to render the full resolution and number of frames you have configured. The finished file should play back freely, though it sometimes is necessary to compress the video in a video editor first depending on the file size and other issues.

Can you post a sample video to YouTube or somewhere else to download?

-Ride_Op

I figured the video capture worked in this way.
I've found that when I export MOV YUV it will at least play properly in Davinci; haven't gotten to exporting from there yet, but I imagine it will be fine, I hope. Other export formats still seem to stutter, even in a video editor. I can try compressing beforehand with some online tool I'm sure would be easy enough to find and see if that helps.

Is there anything special/different about MOV YUV? I'm not familiar with the format.
Are other formats significantly different or better? Thread with this info already perhaps?

I suppose this could have gone in the NL2 Ask thread, but we're here now. ;-)

CenterOfRails posted on August 24th, 2022

Hey Ride_Op, on my M1 iMac my video exports only export an audio file. I've tried changing settings and it will always just output audio only. Am I doing something wrong or is it. a problem with the mac release?

That's usually because you don't have the right player to play back the file. Recording MOV PNG is what we recommend, and that should play fine in Quicktime or import into a video editing program to process and export in a different format. There are other free file conversion tools out there which can do the conversion for you.

-Ride_Op

1 to 8 of 8