(05-21-20) The Flying Dutchman
Looks really good! Does the wooden coaster have a transfer track or is it missing one?
YAY It looks so good :D And finally the ride is smooth I literally build a new ride to make it fit with all the changes ;)
^^ Not at this moment. But I still have to change the stations location a bit so I might as well add one. At the moment it has one 4 car train (PTC).
^ Haha and its smooth as a babies bottom! I may have a bit more work if you like since I plan on changing the inside. I'll contact you ;-)
Wow looks really nice man! Hope that you can give us a download so we can try everything soon...
Replies
@Dave, working on it! Can't really say when its done since I keep changing stuff. The ride as it is now is so different from V1, it almost feels like a different ride. The only things I haven't touched yet are some parts of the queue, but everything else is updated.
Update
So, progress is slow due to school, work and other hobbies. That doesn't mean the project is dead though. One of my flaws is that I tend to design a lot on impluses. So, I had this idea to add a tiny bit of coaster to the darkride, just a turn or two. But after working on that I also found I had to change the approach to the indoor coaster part. And then I thought: well, how cool would it be to use one of those video-walls? And so I went on and...well, redid the entire darkride...sorry Marvin, we'll have to re-do that.
But we'll talk about the outside first. Last year I asked Marvin if he'd like to give a shot at redoing all the track work and adding a few touches of his own. And he delivered something very very cool. The ride lay-out didn't change in terms of where it went, that was pretty defined due to the shape of the showbuilding. He did however change the entire feel of the ride. More tight turns, more airtime and so smooth.
One of the first changes he made was to the first drop. I wanted a taller tower, so that means a taller ride (long live the elevator). The first drop was reprofiled to really give it a swing while going down.

The biggest change was to the park on the left side of the building. He changed the airtime hill (which is now giving insanly good air) and added an helix/overbank. Due to the new speed it works out very well. To add to new lay-out there I also added a little wall in the back. It's also there to keep the guests from looking at the showbuilding. since the new track comes very close. I also added some theming to a taller part of the showbuilding to blend it in better.




So, lets go back inside. One of the things I never really liked was the very first scene. The station is the centre of a town, you then go to a rural area and back to a small town. It didn't work for me story wise, the scenery was to 'thin' and it wasn't epic enough. So I made the town larger. This way the start of the darkride feels more epic and big, which is meant to work as a stark contrast to the open sea scenes coming after. The lighting is not final, nor is all scenery. I am also working on making some stuff move in the scene to add a bit of live to it, again to work as a contrast to later scenes.




Whats next
So, the first goal is to finish the rought draft of the darkride and work out a few new effects I have in mind. I'm not sure how long that is going to take, so I still can't say much about the releasedate. I do promise not to change or add any new things from this point though, so that should help a bit. Also I want to start on adding some detail and bumpmapping here and there, but thats something for later.
I hope you guys like it, cuss I really can't wait to show some of the new ideas once they are done.
The new Darkride part looks amazing so far :D
I really like all the changes :)
The update looks also great. It's very nice to see that you could fixed the issues with the lights from the first release-version. When i keep on look to the updated screens, it don't looks anymore to the Flying Dutchman copy from the Efteling. But it looks like a complete new attraction! I hope you don't delete the vortex and boat with fire-explosions. It was a very cool special effect in your first version. And another question just about the flying dutchman update; do you use the same music or do you have another soundtrack also? There is mutch licence-free music on the internet to find and maybe it's a good thing to try? Only an idea... Or is the music one of the last reference to the real flying dutchman? I wonder or you as coastercreator think about such things!!
^^ Thanks! The whole new track is all due to your own hard work, it deserves more praise than it gets at this moment!
^ The new lightning engine did a lot. The old version was released just after the new update, so I never really changed the lighning and tried to simulate the lightning more than use it really. That is now changed.
The new darkride will keep the good parts of the old, most of the time those area's are enhanced, the additions are really there to fill gaps I felt needed attention. The music will mostly be the same since I think it fits the ride really well. I may look for some different music for some parts, but mainly it will stay the same. I'm just to much in love with some of the used music to let it go haha.
Wow! much has changed but looks very nice. I see a lot of extras and new parts of the attraction. I do see that the textures have no effects (I mean, for example, Normal mapping, specular mapping) these things make your textures / look even more realistic. if you need help with the textures, I'll be happy to help you!
Replies
@Nolimitsprojects: Yeah, it was one of the things I had planed to do later on. I did try a few things in the first scene (which I will show in the next update) but I'm not that good at texture effects, so it's trial and error. I'll PM you later to talk about it ;-)
Update
Long time no see, this time of the year is incredibly busy for me with work and school. I've managed to do some things on the ride, but it's mostly testing and modeling. so, just a few pics of the outside and the darkride this time :)







Up next
So, the plan for now is to fix a few small things here and there and start testing some new triggered effects for this ride. Many things this ride will do have not been done before by me, so I'll have to invest some time. Release date? It's done when it's done! Let me know what you guys think!
That's looking very nice :)
Very nice Zingo. Your dedication to this project is admirable. Very eager to see the whirlpool element in action!
Slowly getting there :D Can't wait for the end result, looks great so far.
It will be great when this Dutchman also opening when the refurbishment in the real Efteling will be completed. Maybe a nice idea to make it an final goal? :-)
We are back! I finally found some time to spent on this ride (and also tried some of those cool animation helpers, love them!)
Replies
@Bullero: The whirlpool is giving me an headache though, I can't seem to get it working the way I want it. I feel like is kinda misses the whirlpool feel, so if anyone has a good idea, I'm all ears.
Update
I've worked on this project on and off for the last two years. One of the things I didn't like was how light the ride was. I just couldn't get it dark enough. Turns out I just need to change the date instead of just the time. I've also added a lot of new lights in the darkride part and it really works out so far! The indoor ship effect has also been renewed since I can use the same effect as I did in RCT-3.
One of my recent tests was to check if the effect works with the vertical elevator right behind it...so far I think it works quite well:
Other than that I've tried my hand at some basic bumpmapping for the first darkride scene. It's dark now.



So let's see if I get to finish this ride this year haha!
Wow, that looks awesome! Excellent work, it's always nice to see your projects. Can't wait to see where you take this
And here we go again, still working on this!
#replies
@JP, thanks! That means a lot for me comming from you. Your creations are by far some of my favorite in NL and are a constant reminder of what NL can do when given the right amount of love.
@ Crazybitch30: Haha yeah, thats what working 40 hours, studying a for a bachelor, getting engaged and buying a house can do for you. Not that I have that much more time now, just different priorities.
#update
So, the darkride is sort of finished in terms of scenery. The main thing at the moment is finishing the effects. Since it has been a few years since I did something with lightning effects I kinda need to figure it all out again, but I'm sure it will come out fine. For this update I want to show what the darkride looks like. Starting out with the final overview:

Other than that I have some shots of the darkride itself:



Next up? Working effects...I hope
Don't worry, he visits the threads of all the long running projects, can confirm ;)
That transfer track system is really interesting. Is it built off of an existing coaster, or was that your idea? I don't think I've ever seen one like that. I'm not 100% sure what kind of effects you're hoping to implement, but bestdani's instant animations really saved Cherry Bomb. It makes show effects painfully easy, to the point where I got carried away adding more effects than initially planned.
Additionally, Lights Animator V2 kit from Yedirmas was a huge help. Another tool that takes a daunting task (to me at least) and turns it into something so easy it's impossible not to go above and beyond your original ideas.
Good luck!
Speaking of the transfer track, why not simply have one table that extends the entire length, and just have offshoots on both sides?

@JP and @AndreAkaMe: The transfertrack is based on what the real ride also does. It has its storage in the middle of the ride. I had some space left with the new design so chose to utilize it in this way. The weird setup had to do with the distance between the transfer tracks and the ride track. Since it wasn't the same I thought I had to use two transfertracks, but it turned out that I could also get away with just not connecting one of the stops. So thanks to AndreAkeMe it's now setup as he has shown.
@JP: thanks for the tips! Instant animations really is a lifesaver, altough I'm afraid I might overdo it a bit haha.
Hey! I'm really loving your own creation of this ride, but i have one question: Are you using the droptrack generator from Yedrimas? If yes, how did you add the camera to your CC?
Rik (AandachtTeKort) posted on May 25th, 2020
Hey! I'm really loving your own creation of this ride, but i have one question: Are you using the droptrack generator from Yedrimas? If yes, how did you add the camera to your CC?
Yeah, I've used Yedrimas's droptrack generator for the evelator. The camera was done with Bestdani's ride camera script. I've just added the camera to the object of the car and it worked! :-D
So TFD is witch us since 2016... How long wil you be delaying this project cause the V1 was already awsome!
Motivation is a fickle thing I am afraid. I do have a small POV of part of the darkride to show how far I am.

Welcome
Welcome back to my atempt to bring an awe-inspiring nolimits experience. The Flying Dutchman was taken offline a long time ago because I wasn't happy with certain bits of the ride and I thought it was time to bring it back, with changes. So welcome back and I hope you guys like what I'm going to show you.
Changes
As I stated I wasn't happy with some parts of the origional ride. That means changing stuff. I have three area's where I wanted change: The inside, the outside and the surrounding area. I tried to up the surrounding with my Round-up 150 entry, but that didn't do it for me (though I still love the ride itself)
So, for this ride I remade the whole area surrounding the ride. The pictures will be shown in the update itself. The other things I wanted to change were some aspects about the outside of the ride. Especialy the big tower and the entrance square.
One of the big critiques I had about the old tower is that is was boring. The RCT-3 version I made had this same problem before I remade it and as such the nolimits version got its own makeover. The goal was to add more depth to this corner . I've done that in two ways: I changed the placement of the arces and doubled the size of the second one. This way the whole area gains depth. I also chaned the tower to have more levels of depth. Altough the entire structure isn't that much smaller, it looks sleeker and as such the forced perspective also makes it look taller (which it also is). I also got rid of the weird tube at the back by adding a vertical elevator on the inside.
Another mayor change is the entrance area. I didn't like that way the crowds entered the area. The old entrance was in the stretch as the rest of the space in front of the facade. This causes a lack of depth but also a lack of wonder to the guests. The first thing I changed because of that is the angle at which you enter the area. This also has a positive effect on the entrance of the ride itself since it's the first thing you see when you enter the area. Also, because of the way the entrance is now placed it feels more like a central square in the area. This, together with the new arces near the tower devide the whole facade in smaller areas, which in turn helps to make the whole feels bigger and explorable.
Update
So, now to the update. I also changed the wooden coaster area. The ride itself was smoothed out a fair bit, got some changes to the shaping and received an extra helix. Together with an make over of the area I think I succeded in making it a very nice piece of park worthy of being released on its own (which I may do soon). The idea was to expend on the theme I chose for the old wooden coaster by adding rides, paths and theming. I tried to keep it simple by only adding the stuff that was really needed to make it work.
Next up
For the next update I hope to show some of the awesome stuff I am adding on the inside. Due to the updates released after I originally made this I had to re-do all lightning. Which is goooood haha. Also all trackwork was redone by DermuffinMaker, its glass smooth now and he even added some very cool elements to the ride!
So, let me know what you guys think of it so far!