Skip to content

Even more puzzled now!

1 to 8 of 8

Can anyone explain what's going on here please? I put a comment on a coaster ("Daybreak") to say I was having trouble playing it, and had anyone else managed to? I didn't give ANY rating, simply because I can't play it. i.e. I didn't score it "0": I didn't score it full stop! I now see that 5 people have "thumbed down" my comment (I'm guessing that's where the minus 5 comes from) but why? Criticizing me for not scoring it 10 yet? This is bizarre! I notice nobody else has said "Yes, I dl'd and played it ok", which makes me wonder if they are rating it purely on just playing the "preview window", perhaps? For what it's worth, I'm still stuck on this. It's worrying, because I bought a top-of-the range PC specially for NL2, which is (more than) was specified, hardware-wise. Plus, I definitely have the latest NL2 software version. I'm wondering if selecting "play" for my downloaded item is not enough? Do I have to do something with the operator panels first (i.e. F4 or F5 - I usually try and keep away from those, as I don't fully understand them!) I would appreciate any helpful suggestions as to what I might try - rather than being berated for not raving about it unseen!

I wouldn't worry about it, to be honest. People probably just giving something a thumbs down, simply because they can. However 2 of the people who left comments have actually uploaded some parks on here, so i'd say they're ok. The other 2, however, haven't. (Burrito1 and ten four)

I d'loaded the ride to test it for you. 430mb is a very big file size for a park package file.. Once the park loaded, it was really laggy and slow on my machine. Framerate dropped to 9 at the lowest. But it did work for me. I could (slowly, lol) walk around or move about in fly cam mode.
On a side note, i did get a script issue/error message as it was loading up.

~ Warning in File 'park:files\absfiles\RMC Steering Axle Generic\Car.nlvm' in Line 99: Member and method with same identifier 'link'
...0 error(s), 1 warning(s) ~

Well thank you! I really appreciate you taking the time to investigate for me. Yes, I get the same message you did. However, for me , it is permanently stuck in "Walk View" mode, and no matter how many times I ty to change the view (via "E" or "Q"), it won't alter. Also, the background noise is constant, suggesting it's not actually "riding" (irrespective of whether I can see it). I may wait till Halloween, and see if it spookily springs into action! ;)

To be fair my computer is fairly powerful. I did put in an unusual amount of detail to jazz it up for R400. Apologies that it didn't work for you. Have you tried a restart of your sim? Also that warning won't go away no matter what I do. Luckily it doesnt affect anything.

-Regards

@Leeds: Sounds like it may be some kind of glitch happening, if the audio is a constant tone. Is it stuck that way, or do you hear other things?

SentinelParks posted on October 14th, 2021
Also that warning won't go away no matter what I do. Luckily it doesnt affect anything.

-Regards

Ah, ok. I did notice you're using full custom trains, so i'm guessing it's something to do with that, being a script message and all. My computer's not too bad, but it is a number of years old now.
I was going to suggest that to Leeds as well. Re-install the program and see if that helps.

I'd already tried re-installing NL2, to no avail. (I don't know what "restart the sim" means. Is that the same thing?) When I said the noise was constant, I meant it never progressed beyond the general ambient background noise, i.e. I couldn't hear any"whooshes" on big drops, or rattling hill climbs, etc., even though I waited over 5 minutes. I'm going to have to forget about it. I'm just a little concerned now that I've spent loads on this brand new Windows 10 PC with top-of-the-range hardware (btw, it is the ONLY program on the entire PC!) and there still seems to be coasters that others can play but I can't! Oh well, I know there are worse things in life! : (

Leeds, first off, try one of the included coasters that came with NoLimits 2. Does everything work as expected with good performance and appropriate sounds? If so that proves your computer is fine and your installation of NL2 is fine. That narrows the issue down to the customized things at play here.

NL2 does not have a specific built-in method to make custom trains. People have found workarounds using a few specific tricks: Creating a duplicate layout of the coaster, setting that duplicate to wire frame, setting "hide wire frame" option, attaching custom models to the wire frame train, and including "rideable" cameras in these custom models. If you walk up to the seat you want you'll be prompted to board the train and ride the ride. While it'll look right, there are issues that result.

The built-in trains use special built-in cameras that trigger a bunch of things, like force readings, wheel noise, wind noise related to speed, and the ability to jump right to ride view mode using the toggle keys. The cameras that can be attached to imported objects do not generate forces, do not generate the same sounds generated while riding that our cameras do, and do not let you jump to onboard from anywhere in the map. That explains the difference in sound: you're only hearing wind noise related to height above the ground, nothing to do with whooshes since these cameras aren't the ones with all the programming behind them to act like you're onboard a coaster train.

-Ride_Op

I can assure you my NL2 software is as it should be. I've got several hundred in my collection now! (Incl. hundreds I imported from my previous NL1 collection.) What I normally do - if I'm taking a copy of a coaster someone else has done - is standardise it a litte, i.e. simplify colours, no. of trains, excessive scenery/effects, etc. Not to dismiss the creator's original efforts, you understand, but to reduce volumes and hopefully improve (sometimes just to "enable" in fact) performance. Of course, now I've got my new "de luxe" PC, I don't expect to have any more "out of memory" messages and the like.

With the coaster in question, however, it was a "play only" one, so it's not as if I started "tampering" with it in any way! I'm just goint to forgego this one and carry on with NL2-and-related educaution : how to do 3D models, how to do scripts, etc. The only topic I'll be steering well clear of is that crazy "FVD"(?) business. No siree!

Anyway, on an entirely different subject..... are you one of the site administrators by any chance? The reason I ask is that some time ago I seem to recall mention of a "patron" scheme, asking people to contribute? At the time I was a bit wary, as it seemed to be a rolling payment thing. I'm reluctant to subscribe to anything where someone could still be taking payments if I suddenly kark it. ("Scribd" and a host of other sites do the same thing.) However, I would LOVE to make single payments now and then, to show my support for a great product and for help I've had to date on various things. Is this possible?

1 to 8 of 8