Skip to content

Rip Ride Rockit Replacement Contest [RESULTS POSTED]

1 to 20 of 20
Posted May 24, 2020· Edited May 27, 2020

Mr. Uni V. Ersal has called upon this forum to design a new ride for his park. He is replacing one of his rickety old coasters and wants you to help him come up with a new layout. Because this is replacing an old coaster, there is a very tight footprint that the coaster must occupy.

Objective:
Design a coaster in the space given. This coaster can be any style you want, custom styles are also allowed.

Rules:
The template is divided into multiple zones;

-Yellow: Station and transfer must be within the yellow zone.
-Green: There must be track in every green zone. This will be judged from the Top-down view. There could be as little as 2 feet of track within the zone, but some track must be in every green zone.
-Orange: Track and supports are optional in these areas. You are more than welcome to have track and supports in the orange zones, but you are not required to.
-Red: No track or supports may go within the red zone, nor the clearance envelope. As much track as you'd like may go over the red zone, but it cannot go inside the translucent red clearance envelope.
-All track and supports must be over the template scenery object, no track or supports may be outside the template.
-No footers or base supports may be attached to the buildings, however track may go above the buildings.

Judging:
Rides will be judged on if they meet the rules listed above and how well they make use of the template. Rides will NOT be judged based on how well the ride thematically works with Universal Orlando, nor will they be judged on their accuracy to Rip Ride Rockit's layout. Rides will also not be judged based on manufacturer accuracy, so all people regardless of skill level can compete.

Your judges will be:
Myself (JAKool)
Freethebear
TheCodeMaster

If you have any questions, feel free to mention me and I'll get back as soon as possible.

Entries will be due 2 weeks from today on June 6th at 11:59 PM Pacific Standard Time

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_J9huEdiytWDuAs76xKb5wpTJKnHdDc7/view?usp=drivesdk

Good luck and have fun!

Posted May 24, 2020· Edited May 24, 2020

The template looks great! I think I could squeeze a ride in there.

Is there a more 'complete' 3D model to be thrown in once the contest is over?

FVD users - I have made a mistake and the scaling was off. This is the updated one. Make sure you are using this one. My apologies for the error, hopefully I didn't mess too many people up.

Would it be possible to get a version of the template without the red clearance envelope? Might like to clean my submission up a bit for an upload to the exchange.
Also, where should we submit our entries once we're finished?

I don't think I can commit to the time for this contest, but having worked Rip Ride myself, I would love to see what else could be done with the concept.

Submissions are now open!

https://forms.gle/pzuhMhfhi3erPc717

Just provide your username, coaster name, and a link to your nl2package. This could be a Google Drive link, Dropbox, NLC Exchange, anything as long as we are able to download your park. Packages must not be password protected.

We look forward to seeing all your entries! Good luck.

Well that was a fun contest! Unfortunately I won't be able to finish mine in time. I had a pretty neat B&M invert going, but put a massive vertical loop in one of the tightest spots where I had to pass back over, making it impossible to get both track and supports in realistically. Had I found the error a few days ago, I might've had time to start again, but I don't know that I'll be able to do so at this point.
Thanks for putting this on anyway!
Good luck to everybody.

Submissions are now closed. I hope everyone had a ton of fun with the template!

We had a grand total of 23 submissions. What a great turnout! I'm super happy to see that so many people entered.

Myself and the other judges can't wait to start riding your entries. Great job everyone!

And we have our winners!

Congratulations to the top 3, and congratulations to everyone who finished and submitted an entry! We really had a lot of fun judging all your guys' rides and there were some truly great ones in there.

Click here for a detailed breakdown of scoring

Click here for TheCodeMaster's in-depth thoughts on all the entries

Unfortunately, there were a few times where we had to give 0s out for scores. If the submission broke a rule (such as a footer colliding with the template), the score for that judging category would be 0.

Once again, thank you to everyone who competed and made this contest a success!

Congrats to the winners!

I can't seem to find any of them on the exchange. Could you consider a release so that we may see each others work?

1 to 20 of 20