Skip to content

How to input node coordinates quickly

1 to 7 of 7

Hi,

I have all the X, Y and Z coordinates for the centreline nodes for a coaster in an Excel spreadsheet. Is there some way I can copy and paste them all into NoLimits quickly? There's 344 bents in all and it's going to take me hours if I have to place them one by one by hand. This is for an old school circle and line wooden coaster, there's no funky spline stuff to complicate things.

Thanks in advance :)

Posted December 22, 2024· Edited December 22, 2024

Do u have the PRO version or the Stock version ?
If u have a PRO version, u can import *.CSV file.

Posted December 23, 2024· Edited December 23, 2024

Thank you but unfortunately now I'm struggling to create a CSV file that NoLimits 2 will accept (I have the PRO version). I've tried googling around but all I can find is for exporting CSVs from NoLImits to blender etc, not importing them into NoLimits2. Would someone be able to walk me through this, please?

Here's what I did. Following the instructions in the game's help tab, I created a new Excel spreadsheet with columns labelled "No." "PosX" etc. I copied and pasted the X, Y, Z coordinates of all the ledgers into their respective columns. I put numbers in the "No." column which correspond with the bent numbers. I put zeros in the columns for the "Front" and "Left" positions, because the game's help file says to do so as these aren't needed for importing. I do not know what values should go in the "Up" columns - how do I work this out? For the time being I put in zeros. Then I saved the Excel spreadsheet as a CSV. When I tried to import the CSV into NoLimits 2 it said:

CSV Read error: Line 1: Invalid cell found: 'No.,"""PosX""","""PosY""","""PosZ""","""FrontX""","""FrontY""","""FrontZ""","""LeftX""","""LeftY""","""LeftZ""","""UpX""","""UpY""","""UpZ"""' expected: '"No."

What am I doing wrong and what do I need to do instead?

If u make a small simple coaster , and use the export function from NL2, so u can see how the CSV is build. Makes it easier if u import an CSV.

I tried that and I'm none the wiser. I built a straight section of track, 40 feet long and split into four 10 foot segments. Then I lifted up each node so each node was 10 feet higher than the last (to understand the "up" columns). When I generated the CSV the numbers in the "up" column weren't multiples of 10 and in the "No." column at first it went 10, 20, 30, 40 and then ran to over 200. This makes no sense when there are only four nodes.

Posted December 25, 2024· Edited December 26, 2024

Hey, I never worked with it but maybe this can help you:
https://nolimitscoaster.com/nolimits2/help/pages/fileformats.html
Click on "CSV (Spline Import/Export)"

Reading there the "UP-Column" is "The x-component of a normalized normal vector pointing in the up direction of the virtual car moving along the spline." Furthermore "the front, left, and up vectors are three linear independent unit-length (normalized) vectors..."
So you should not expect multiples of 10 there. The values should be smaller 1.

So following the explanation in the link: "Pos" is the position of the spline-point and the other three values "Front", "Left", "Up" are three vectors standing on this position like a virtual car would. I think, this rather complex definition is necessary to get an unique definition of the track including banking. But I am no expert of this feature, so maybe its wrong how I understood it xD

1 to 7 of 7