Skip to content

Vertical Lift Hill-Drop (Karnan)

1 to 16 of 16

Technically, the block brake can't be both magnetic and a full stop. Magnetic brakes only show down, not completely stop a train. Only friction brakes can do that.

thimok posted on April 15th, 2020

Technically, the block brake can't be both magnetic and a full stop. Magnetic brakes only show down, not completely stop a train. Only friction brakes can do that.

realistically i agree, but i think the way the simulator is, it tricks it.

I set them to that but it either just stops for the wait time and then moves through, or doesn’t stop at all and carries on. It does not drop.

I'll go ahead and guess impulse coasters don't break the laws of physics. Without looking into it too much, the docking system for them appears to have something to do with this device seen on Wicked Twister:

Perhaps a set of two electromagnets (one at the front of the train, one at the back) with reverse polarity that keep it locked between them? Either way, I don't think the same LIMs that launch/brake the ride are the ones that hold it in the load position.

Would be interested to learn more about this if anyone knows anything

Posted April 20, 2020· Edited April 20, 2020

From what I gathered talking to some people who worked on impulses, the LIM's cannot stop the train from moving. It can "park" the train in the loading station, but cannot keep it there if someone was to push it too hard or if it was moved by strong enough wind. One of the opening checks is to reposition the train to the parking position in case it moves overnight

JP posted on April 20th, 2020

Without looking into it too much, the docking system for them appears to have something to do with this device seen on Wicked Twister:

IIRC those are just permanent magnets to help slow down the train after a cycle

From my understanding, LIMs work a bit differently than LSMs, and cannot effectively act as brakes. This is why LSMs are the preferable choice for modern coasters, and will slow a train down in the event of a rollback or power failure. For impulse coasters, those retractable "brakes" are permanent magnets, and create a braking force when the (presumably copper) fins attached to the train pass through them. This is why they need to be retracted before the train launches.

The LIMs are used to park the train in the station, but there aren't any retractable brakes within the load area I think, only LIMs. The LIMs can be powered in a way which parks the train in the station, but like I said before I don't think that parking the train depends on those retractable brakes.

Posted July 1, 2020· Edited July 1, 2020

If you have a long train, you need to shift the brake position on the section to the right until the train doesn't jerk or stall in the midair and make more spacing between holding brake and exit booster wheel. Here are the sample setting and results. I hope this works for you guys!

P.S. You can use both brake type in this trick. I use the magnetic brake on the gravity lab coaster is just because of its silent. It more feels like something went wrong that the train stops silently.

1 to 16 of 16