Coaster Calculation: G-Forces, Evaluation Point
Lots of questions, let me answer the ones I can:
Yes, mass does affect the physics. Each car has its own mass as well, so long and short trains behave as they should.
People have been able to capture the forces that are sent out via telemetry server and write them to the log or something else via script. It's not elegant, but it is possible with some technical know how.
The evaluation point of the forces is based on the current camera seat location, and the forces are calculated for that point in real time. Ride in the front and the rear of the train and you'll see different results. Same with left and right side of wide trains. I would have to check if the forces will calculate from positioning the camera in fly by mode. That's the mode where you move the camera relative to the currently selected car. You could do that to move to where you think the center of mass is and see what the forces are. Try it and see if it gives you those forces instead of the forces at the extreme seat.
What are you looking to do with NoLimits 2?
-Ride_Op
Thank you for your detailes response.
On the weekend, I managed it to get the g-acceleration out of the programm. I used a tool found on this forum. But i only can get the forces for the seat positions. I can not change the position of the evaluation point near to the center of gravity. Would it be possible to add an additional evaluation point in the center of the train in the programm?
Additional: Is it possible to change the mass of the train, to make it more accurate to the data given by the manufacturer?
To your question what i want to do: We would like to use the programm NL2 to get the g forces out of rollercoaster layout. The loads should later be added to our FE-Programm, where the track is evaluated. But to be sure that the loads are correct, I have to understand how the physics works and how to get the right values. To get these information, i would like to get in deeper contact with a developer of the software, to help me, getting the values and helping us develope tools on a busines level.
I send you a PM with some more personal questions.
Coaster_Calculator posted on March 9th, 2020
On the weekend, I managed it to get the g-acceleration out of the programm. I used a tool found on this forum. But i only can get the forces for the seat positions.
Could you link to what tool you used? Thanks
Does anyone know of a tool to export g-forces like @Coaster_Caclultor mentioned?
IlanaK posted on July 25th, 2024
Does anyone know of a tool to export g-forces like @Coaster_Caclultor mentioned?
Ask @noodle_soup in a PM.
Hi all! I wanted to follow-up on this thread. Is there any way to modify the mass of a coaster train?

I'm new in this Forum since o started work with the simulation a few days ago. I work in the roller coaster business professionally. I have some deeper questions about the simulation.
Does anyone know how the simulation is made? Is there a physical model behind? Does the mass of the train have an influence on the simulation?
And a little more specific to the program: Is it possible to get the g forces out of a ride? And can you export these values in an extern file?
Where is the evaluation point of the shown g forces in the "F2" window? And is it possible to change the evaluation point to another position (for example: In the center of gravity of the first coach or the last coach).
I know these are a lot of questions, but I hope someone has some answers for me.
Thank you.