Skip to content

Coaster X Contest....

1 to 11 of 11

For those that have been around for over 5 years and remember the Coaster X Contest. Was it ever announced where the coaster was going that the winner designed?

To my understanding, the coaster was to be built by Zierer. The winners were in contact with the company that commissioned the contest, but eventually stopped hearing back. It’s long since been dead

Posted July 26, 2019· Edited July 26, 2019

From what I've heard, you had to design a coaster and if you won you would get to work with a manufacturer to build it in real-life or something along those lines

Talking about Zierer building the winning coaster, I believe their Force 281 model was designed by an extern coaster enthusiast and not by Zierer

Wonder if they had second thoughts about letting hobbyists work with them based on how they did in a contest rather than other credentials.

Ok so to start: I’m just now seeing this thread because I realized it’s been 10 years since this contest and I can provide some info as to what happened. Maybe people will see this, maybe not, but I figure since it’s a topic I’d provide my experience.

Back in 2015 I was one of the “co-victors” of the contest along with another entrant who had more fine-tuned no limits experience. While I was very much a novice at Nolimits 2 at the time (and still am compared to so many other uploads here…) this worked in my favor to win because my simpler design was better fit the economical interests of the contest runners. The other “co-victor” collaborated with me on making the basic features of my design smoother for presentation.

After our combined entry won, we were in occasional contact with the show runner, who from some digging seemed to be an entrepreneur of sorts who wanted to renovate an abandoned event space in the UK into a small enclosed amusement park/strip mall. We had some back and forth for about a year regarding the potential details and scope of the project, but as of 2017 the guy basically fell off the face of the earth and never responded to any inquiries about progress, etc.

I did have to sign an NDA regarding certain details (which may be void now?) but I’ll see if I can find the final winning park file to upload here. There was a public video on YouTube with a POV of our design but I think the channel and video have been deleted, as well as the CoasterX website.

NDAs are usually time limited. Plus if the originating entity doesn't exist anymore it may not be an issue. Re-read it carefully and you might be able to say more. Suffice to say the project is dead, but it was a fun one for everyone to do.

-Ride_Op

1 to 11 of 11