Skip to content

Lost Lagoon, now featuring three coasters

1 to 20 of 20

Hello NoLimits Central! My name is Harris and I've been waiting for the Mac version of NL2 to be released for quite some time. I'm new to the program, though I did use NL1 for a while back in the day, but never got good enough at it to build coasters I was satisfied with.

My first coaster in NL2 is a medium-sized Gravity Group woodie. It's inspired by similar rides like Timber in France and Twister in Sweden, hence the incredibly creative title Timber Twister. I think it turned out a tiny bit too long for its height and speed, as the pacing and airtime are a little crappy on the last few hills, but I'm overall very happy with it for my first coaster. Any criticisms or suggestions anyone has are welcome, and downloads and reviews would of course be appreciated. Here's a couple pictures:

ImgurImgur

Now a few questions I have:
1. For some reason, my transfer track has two "left" options and no "right" options. The thing functions normally, but the mislabeling bugs me. Why is this happening/how do I fit it?

Imgur

2. Is there any way to change the camera FOV in the simulator? It's easy enough in the editor but I can't find an option to change it for the rest of the program.

3. My next project is probably going to be an old-school Arrow looper. Any tips on how to get that style of shaping to look right? The editor seems like it's almost too good for Arrow; it's hard to make sharp corners and perfectly circular turns.

Thanks guys!

Harris

Hey Harris, glad you can finally use the program! That's a pretty neat little layout, definitely managed to capture the style.

Welcome! To try to answer a couple of your questions:
There's a camera settings feature you can bring up in the simulator, but I forget it you need to go into the "Setup" tab to do it or if you can do it in "Play" mode, I'll have to check when I get a chance.
As for Arrow shaping, your best bet would probably be to use the built-in formulas for corkscrews, turns, etc. That should give you perfectly circular elements.

Posted May 9, 2018· Edited May 9, 2018

Thanks for the response guys. Good to see you here too Jake! It's about time I got my hands on NL2.

So change of plans, I decided to make my second coaster an Intamin mega-but-not-hyper coaster along the lines of EGF/Dutch Goliath, but more similar to the latter. It's turning out better than I was expecting. Nothing is completely done, but I'm mostly happy with the shaping and layout, though I'm always open to criticism. Ignore the prefab supports, those are only there for visualization/screwing around with the color scheme. Speaking of, I still need a name and color ideas, though I am happy with the latest paint job I came up with.

First drop:

Imgur

Overall layout. I think I'm gonna put a lake or a river going through the middle of the layout, under the final helix.

ImgurImgur

Insert lake here:

Imgur

Coming along slowly... These supports took me way too long but I'm very happy with them.

Imgur

Still working on the name. I definitely want to go with something that emphasizes it as a big ride, but Goliath or Titan are way too generic. If I can't think of anything better I may go with a dinosaur "theme," though the theming will be very minimal.

^I like that a lot. Consider it the new working title. Thanks for the suggestion.

^^The layout is definitely similar to megalites but I tried to differentiate it enough to not just feel like a bigger version of that model. Hopefully I succeeded, but I really don’t mind my coaster being similar to one of the best coaster styles out there!

I guess you could say I've made some progress.

ImgurImgurImgur

I'm actually thinking about making this into a small park with a few prehistoric themed coasters centered around the lake. Lost Lagoon is the name I'm going with for the moment. I don't expect this park to be done anytime soon, it'll probably become a summer project, but I have a few other layout ideas that I think would work well around the lake I've already got for this coaster.

I love the name 'Seismosaurus'. Almost makes me wish I'd thought of it for a certain one of my own projects.

I think it would be cool if the end of the ride starting where the twisted airtime hill is transitioned into two tube track style like Superman: Ride of Steel does.

^^I can’t take credit for coming up with the name, that would be Kryptos, but I’m glad you like it, even if it means you can’t steal it!

^I thought about switching track styles, but the support/track styles I looked at for this coaster were the slightly newer mid 2000s Intamin megas (EGF, Goliath at Walibi, etc) which seem to keep the three tube track till the very end rather than switch. Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I’m going to keep it the way it is now.

^ I agree with that. Even the other Superman doesn't do it, just the ugly brothers does that.

The coaster is looking great, any reason why it is so high off ofthe ground? It looks like you could lower it 1-2m.

Well if you are looking in the 2000s, the Mega Lite models also switch to two tube track toward the end to save coast. It isn't just the pair of Supermans.

^^I think the reason it looks so far off the ground is because I did the layout before adding the lake, so everything in that part of the ride is higher up than it was originally. I could go back and fix it, but I honestly kind of like the effect. It emphasizes the “big”ness of the ride.

^I think it can go either way honestly. The ending of Goliath is really low to the ground but maintains the three tube track regardless. Plus I like the way it looks with three tube. Shrug

So it's been a while.

Imgur

For whatever reason I didn't get around to using NL2 for a few months, but I opened back up my Seismosaurus park and this happened:

Imgur

And then this happened:

Imgur

So, this is really no longer the Seismosaurus thread as much as it is the thread for a small theme park: Lost Lagoon. First up, Sabertooth is a medium-sized B&M stand-up coaster. I kind of think of it as the missing link between the smaller stand-ups (Vortex, Georgia Scorcher etc.) and the big ones like Mantis and Riddler's. It features four inversions and multiple helixes and high-banked turns.

Imgur

An overview of Sabertooth's elongated layout alongside the lagoon and Seismosaurus:

Imgur

Every park needs a good family coaster, and Lost Lagoon is no exception. I was originally going to try my hand at a small Mack launch coaster, but I couldn't really get it to go anywhere interesting so I switched to an old-school Arrow suspended coaster. I really like me some good Arrow lattice support structures, so of course I ended up with one on the coaster's lift hill.

Imgur

My working title for this coaster is Pterodactyl, but I'm not the biggest fan of the name because it feels kind of obvious and is stupid to pronounce. If anyone has a better, vaguely prehistoric-sounding name fitting for a suspended coaster, please pitch in! Whatever it ends up being called, here's the layout:

Imgur

An overview of the park so far. I think I might cut down on the number of trees; they are really giving my laptop a workout even on the lowest settings. Plus, it still looks like I have a lot of path and trees to fill in to get back to Pterodactyl...

Imgur

I'll finish off with one of my favorite angles of Seismosaurus, taken from one of the bridges over the lagoon:

Imgur

None of the layouts are completely set in stone (though I am honestly quite happy with them personally) and I am looking for ways to make the park ambiance nicer and more realistic, so please comment with any constructive criticism. This is my very first major NL2 project after all. Thanks for reading!

Neat little park! In the case of the trees, you should only use 3d trees for areas very close to the coasters and paths, everything else should either be 2d trees or tree lines. secretimbecile has a download for a tree line that blends in perfectly with the 3d trees in his thread, I'd recommend checking that out.

1 to 20 of 20