Skip to content

Exporting NL2

1 to 14 of 14
Posted March 13, 2018· Edited May 2, 2018

Hi there! I'm quite new to the whole NL2 scene and I'm currently working on a project where I want to 3d print my own roller coaster. I've made a design on No Limits 2 and now I'm trying to export the file so I can open it up in Solidworks but I can't seem to get it working. I have the Pro version of NL2 and I don't know what else to do. Any help is highly appreciated!

UPDATE:
I finally got it to work, I don't know what went wrong the first few times I tried it, but I followed the same steps and I was able to export the main spline of my coaster. Thanks everyone for the help! :)

to answer the question i think you're asking, there actually isn't a full export option for NL2. However since you have the pro version, you CAN export a CSV spline and use that to create a track in your modelling program of choice. Another option is using the Light Pattern creator (which will generate a .LWO object that follows the track with a box shape of a defined size) and use the file from that to generate your rails and spine with some modifiers in a modelling program as well. Both of these require supports to be made in the modelling program also. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but these are the 2 easiest that i am aware of

intim305 posted on March 13th, 2018

to answer the question i think you're asking, there actually isn't a full export option for NL2. However since you have the pro version, you CAN export a CSV spline and use that to create a track in your modelling program of choice. Another option is using the Light Pattern creator (which will generate a .LWO object that follows the track with a box shape of a defined size) and use the file from that to generate your rails and spine with some modifiers in a modelling program as well. Both of these require supports to be made in the modelling program also. I'm sure there are other ways to do this but these are the 2 easiest that i am aware of

The main problem I'm having is when I use the light pattern creator to export, the file (.lwo) isn't compatible with the modellling program. Any online file converter I use just shows an error has occured. Do you have any experience with exporting the CVS spline? If so, can you please link me to a tutorial where it shows how to do it?

Posted March 14, 2018· Edited March 14, 2018

I've used that one before and it had worked. I suggest trying out another online mesh converter. There are many options available from Google.

Hello,
i have found this thread because i want also export the track to blender. The function in light pattern generator to generate a LWO-file looks good, it seems to generate a "track" with rectangular shape as 3D-file. This is exact what i need, i want to design buildings around track integrating the track (it is a castle around a wild mouse coaster, inspired by "G'sengte Sau" in Tripsdrill but different track). I set width and heigt according to minimum needed room for corridors fitting track and cars, so i can see directly how i have to design the buildings. Later the track will be removed in blende when buildings are finished, ready to be exported to NoLimits.

bestdani wrote that blender can read a LWO-file, but i cannot find this option in the import menu. Is the LWO-file identical with another 3D-file so i can rename the ending of file name and then import it to blender? Or is there another trick to do this? I have got a LWO-file from light pattern generator (without light effects because i need only the "support beam" for the lights).

Best regards

When I remember correctly I mentioned it already where I mentioned that it is possible, but if not, you have to enable the import / export Addon for LightWave Objects:

Hello,
i have imported the mesh in blender, now i tried to put a UV-map on it like i have done it with all other meshes (cube, cylinder, sphere, text etc.). So i changed to edit mode with TAB, selected unwrap and tried to assign a picture for UV-map. But the mesh of the track remains totally black in UV-display mode. When i add a cube mesh and do the same for the cube, i can assign picture as UV-map and see it on the surface. Together with the black track mesh... There must be a difference between meshes, what must i change for the track mesh so i can assign UV-maps to it like on meshes i add with the "add" function of blender. I cannot see any difference in displayed menus for both meshes, so i have no idea what i must do with the track mesh to make it possible to add a UV-map to it. It is no problem that mapping looks a little bit strange because there is no good projection, but i need only a surface that is highly recognizable from the other meshes for my building. Total black is not very visible...

Do have anyone a hint? Thanks for Help.

Best regards

Actually light pattern objects should already have a unwrapped UV map that is used to display the light pattern animations on it, so there should be no need to unwrap it again in blender unless you want something very special.

For displaying textures, the only thing that I can think that might be different is that it might also use a black vertex color which "added" objects don't have by default in blender, but finally it should be just a matter of how you setup blender to display textures, there are many variants for displaying textures 2.79. It already depends of if you are using the "oldschool" blender renderer or cycles, you should make you familiar with all the options and use the one that's suitable in your case.

For more specific questions maybe use the blender thread.

I want to publish my 3D model of Shambhala so that other people can download it and print it with a 3D printer. However, I am not sure how to upload it or which platform I should use. I would appreciate guidance on how to properly share my design and make it available for 3D printing.

1 to 14 of 14